I recently stumbled upon a post on Instagram that stated "friends who swear tend to be more honest and upfront." As a person who doesn't use profanity, I was a bit shocked and irritated by this stereotype. I consider myself a generally upfront person who isn't afraid to tell it how it is or put you in your place if you said something out of line. Even though I grew up in a Christian house and still identify myself as Christian to this day, my rationale behind cursing is somewhat unrelated to the fact it is frowned upon to use profanity in Christianity. I've always associated cursing with both a laziness to come up with a better way to express anger or frustration, and shows a disrespect towards those around you whether it be elders or little kids. As someone who enjoys language and expressing myself on paper, I'm a strong believer in the power of words. Profanity seems like a lazy way to express what you're trying to say and just shows that you're not taking the time to think before you speak. Getting back to my original dilemma, just because I don't use profanity isn't to say I'm not as honest or I'm emotionally closed off. It also isn't to say I look down upon those who do curse regularly, we each have our own preferences and were raised in different households with different expectations and exposures to languages.

What I want to convey to the world about the non- cursing population of the world is the power of an "I love you" over an "f*** you." In many cases, I have wanted to use the former of those two phrases, but sticking with my morals and abstaining from the use of profanity caused me to pause and think about how powerful and hurtful the incorrect use of words can be. In most cases, using hurtful language leads to regret and I've seen it ruin many friendships and relationships.

Now I'm not trying to convert anyone not to use profanity, but it's important that you don't associate people who don't curse with being a goody-two-shoes, stuck up, or emotionally unattached. I have the same anger and frustration as you do, but I chose to express it in other ways. I've come to the conclusion that saying something that's simply "easier" can be more hurtful than you mean it to be in the heat of the moment. It's just as easy to say "I love you" as it is to say "f** you."