Why I am choosing to be a Physical Educator...

Current Kinesiology and Health Promotion Undergrad...

15

"All you do is play games."

"You're so lucky, your classes are so easy."

"You're going to have the easiest job, just let them play dodge ball."

I don't agree with those statements. Physical Education is about teaching important values like respect, teamwork, time management, and why it's important to live a healthy lifestyle. I want my students to carry the lessons I teach them with them forever.

I want to improve my students cognitive performance, their psychological health, and social and moral development.

Just 60 minutes of physical activity a day can help students feel more alert, less stressed, and focus more on the lessons they are receiving in their content area classes. Physical Activity becomes an outlet for releasing tension and anxiety that students hold.

If I can give my students activities and resources to be active outside of school, focusing on skill related fitness that helps with coordination, power, reaction time, and speed they will be more successful!

When we are active regularly, the brain begins to change and we become better at understanding and retaining information. Students need brain breaks, which is why physical education is needed in all schools.

One of my goals is to integrate more literacy into physical education and include more cross-curricular activities. I want to widen the academic curriculum.

"Physical Fitness is not only one of the most important keys to a healthy body. It is the basis of dynamic and creative intellectual activity." - John F Kennedy

Related Articles Around the Web