Why I Have a Problem With Song of Solomon 3:4

The one who our souls are really meant to love.

38886

When it comes to the captions people write about their girlfriend/boyfriend on Instagram, I've seen it all. I've probably seen every quote about love maybe 3 different times. I usually don't have a problem with this because, me being the person I am, I love love. It's a thing.

Here is my biggest problem though. Some of these people that are using this bible verse are taking it out of context. When they say that they have found the one who their soul loves, there saying to mean their boyfriends or their significant others.

This is the whole chapter. "On my bed by night
I sought him whom my soul loves;
I sought him, but found him not.
2 I will rise now and go about the city,
in the streets and in the squares;
I will seek him whom my soul loves.
I sought him, but found him not.
3 The watchmen found me
as they went about in the city.
“Have you seen him whom my soul loves?”
4 Scarcely had I passed them
when I found him whom my soul loves.
I held him, and would not let him go
until I had brought him into my mother's house,
and into the chamber of her who conceived me.
5 I adjure you, O daughters of Jerusalem,
by the gazelles or the does of the field,
that you not stir up or awaken love
until it pleases."

The way that I see this chapter is that the one who their souls love, is Jesus. The way that I see this chapter is that yes, it is about a bride but we were not made to love our earthly people with our entire souls but we were made to love Jesus with our entire souls.

Yes, I think it's great when we find someone here on this earth that we love and that we want to spend the rest of our lives with but I also think that it's important that we know the difference between two types of loves.

This first type is when you find someone here on this earth that you want to spend the rest of your life with them. They will, hopefully, be there until the day that you die.

The second type of love is the one were it lasts for eternity. This one is the most valuable to have once you find yourself upon the gates of heaven. This is the one, the type of love, that Song of Solomon was talking about.

I interpret this chapter in different ways every time I read it and every time I do, I always think of what a blessing it is that I have the chance and the grave given to me so that I can find my self living with the actual one whom my soul is meant to love.

Much Love Always. -Addison.