Why "Found/Tonight" is Incredibly Important Right Now

Lin-Manuel Miranda and Ben Platt's musical mashup is bringing attention to the March for Our Lives Movement

403
Forbes

Even if you aren't a huge theatre nerd like me, you may have heard of two little shows called Hamilton and Dear Evan Hansen. These two shows have completely blown up in the past few years, thanks to their impeccable writing, incredible songs, and heartfelt messages.

In the wake of the Parkland shooting and the March for Our Lives movement, Lin-Manuel Miranda and Ben Platt (the stars of both of these amazing shows) have come together to create a sort of anthem for the movement that takes selections from both shows. This mashup is called "Found/Tonight," and you can listen to it right here.

After just a listen, it makes sense as to why these two songs were chosen to represent the students calling attention to gun control reform. The constant refrains of "you are not alone" and "they'll tell the story of tonight" are meant to assure the students that their cause is not in vain and that they have the support of thousands of people across the country.

The song itself is a mashup of "The Story of Tonight" from Hamilton and "You Will be Found" from Dear Evan Hansen with elements from other songs from both musicals mixed in.

The song was actually created specifically as a rallying cry to call attention to the students fighting for stricter gun control laws across the country. Miranda and Platt have both been vocal supporters of the March for Our Lives movement and this proves it. Proceeds from the song will be donated to the March for Our Lives Initiative, and Platt and Manuel will sing the song and march alongside the students in Washington, DC on March 24th at the official March for Our Lives.

You can donate to the March for Our Lives Initiative here.