Why Everyone Should Take A Drive Through Light Up The Sky One Last Time

After 18 memorable years, people in the Amsterdam community begin to say farewell to LUTS

34
Light Up The Sky

Ever since I was a little girl, I can remember begging my parents to drive us through LUTS. My favorite part was getting a candy cane in the beginning and seeing the magnificent lights and characters. But - as I grew older, getting the candy canes meant less and giving them out meant more. I had become a member of the Amsterdam Marching Rams and I had a whole new look and meaning of what Light Up The Sky actually was.

LUTS started 18 years ago when the Selberts, very generous and kind Amsterdam residents, opened up their home and property to the Amsterdam Marching Rams. Linda Selbert says the reason she thought of doing the show was because she wanted the Marching Rams to be able to give something back to the community for supporting them after all the years. "My dream became a reality thanks to God's blessing, the Marching Rams, the Boosters, community, surrounding communities and the school districts. Hearing the squeals of children as they drive by their favorite character and having senior citizens telling me that I brought back memories of their old fashioned Christmas, and seeing so many smiles on everyone's faces warms my heart. It makes me feel that I created something that brought some happiness to so many people."

Members of the band, majorettes, flag team, and their families spend countless hours volunteering to put it together and then to put it on. With thousands of lights, more than 650 hand-made and hand-painted displays, dancing characters, and Mr. and Mrs. Claus it's become a favorite holiday tradition among many. Acting as a fundraiser, 100% of the proceeds go toward the Amsterdam Marching Rams.

This year will sadly be the final year for Light Up The Sky. When the news broke, members of the Amsterdam community and the Amsterdam Marching Rams began to recall all of the amazing memories they have shared there.

"I was there for the inaugural year. Stationed on the corner of Brookside and Elias, myself and lifelong friends manned the corner and were part of the traffic crew. My favorite memory is Linda's Lazy Lasagna, which she made quite often. And, if I am right - the Drum Major and the Majorette at the end of the show were made to look like myself and my friend Jamie. Back then the noisy generators were a distraction and WCSS would play the music, which we would broadcast through PA speakers. Great memories!" -Pete R

"When I go through LUTS, it makes me feel like I'm still apart of the Marching Rams. You can see the passion from the students and volunteers when you drive through it each year. Each piece has a unique story with why they added it and that's what makes it so special." -Kelsey H

"My favorite memory that I have of LUTS was when I was working and I overheard a conversation between the mom collecting money and a family in their car. From the car, a child said that he didn't think Santa was real. When the car drove away, the mom radioed down to whoever was "Santa" that night, telling him the child's name and Christmas list. For at least that night, this particular child believed in Santa again." -Adam M

"My favorite memory and love for Light Up The Sky actually came after I graduated high school. The very first year of LUTS started my senior year when I was captain of the Majorettes and my good friend, Pete, was the drum major. Many people don't know this but the majorette and the drum major placed at the end of the display are actually designed to look like us! Many years later when I had returned to Amsterdam to raise my kids, I started to bring them each year and the highlight was always pointing out Mommy at the end and Pete who my children know because he is my daughters Godfather! They always look forward to spotting us. I will miss that!" -Jamie C

"Light Up The Sky is a great way for the majorettes and band members to come together to put on something beautiful. One year I dressed up as a penguin and had fun waving to all of the cars that came through. My favorite part of LUTS is the angel that is dedicated to my cousin, Matt Martuscello, a former band member who sadly passed away from meningitis in 2002." -Claire M

"One of the reasons it's so special to work at LUTS is because you know you're bringing joy to others. There was something so rewarding about seeing the excitement on people's faces as they came through the light show."-Lauren H

"I have been involved with LUTS for 10 years as a parent volunteer during the show and as a display painter during the 'off season'. I had the privilege of being the Booster Co-Chair in 2012 and 2013. During this time I had the joy of working with many amazing and dedicated people. This show has given me so many memories that I will cherish for years to come." -Leslie M

"LUTS was the highlight of my winters in high school. I remember my senior year I signed up to work nearly every single night because it was so much fun; hanging out with friends and playing cards or doing homework inside with the other volunteers, going outside and trying to pull off the best dance with your partner, looking forward to the cookies and hot chocolate when it was brought around to you - these things defined the month of December for me, and I loved it. I felt like it brought not only the Marching Rams closer together, but the community as a whole. I cannot thank Linda and Dr.Selbert enough for supporting the Marching Rams for so long, and I'll treasure the happiness I shared with everyone there for the rest of my life."-Enzo M

Located at 154 Brookside Ave in Amsterdam, NY, Light Up The Sky has started its final year. From December 1st - December 23rd you can come through one last time from 6:30 PM - 9:30 PM for only $5 per vehicle.

If you haven't taken the drive through, you don't want to regret missing this. Whether you live in Albany, Saratoga, Schenectady, or Fort Plain, come out to Amsterdam for a night and visit Light Up The Sky! You don't want to miss out