Why Everyone Should Go To A National Youth Gathering

It's the experience of a lifetime.

48
Micah Gowen

It's hard to put the experience I had during the last week into words. Going into it, I thought it would be fun and an opportunity to learn more about God. But, it wound up being so much more than that. I was able to bond with and learn about people from my own church who I barely knew before. I got to have real conversations about the tough things in life that usually aren't talked about. And, most importantly, I was able to truly understand the Word for the first time.

The first awesome thing about this trip is that I was able to travel! This year, the gathering was held in New Orleans, which is somewhere I and many others probably would have never gone. It's always a treat to be able to visit a new area and experience a different culture.

Another reason you should go to a National Youth Gathering is because there is so much love everywhere you go. Everyone talks to you and wants to know about where you're from and why you're there. Anyone involved in the gathering is there not only for themselves, but for you too. You grow so much closer with those from your home church who go with you. I started off not knowing any of the other kids who went on the trip, but by the end I knew a lot about them and shared a great deal with them.

The experience that I shared with 25,000 other people like me grew my faith exponentially. Going to a National Youth Gathering means that you have the privilege to listen to speakers who discuss real issues that concern you, and do so without shoving the Bible down your throat. All of your questions are answered, and the experiences you gain at the Gathering make it easy to finally realize what you're supposed to do in life, both long-term and day to day. I have never had a more clarifying and inspiring experience in my life.

If you ever have an opportunity to go to a National Youth Gathering—which occur every three years—do anything you can to go. This was such a positive experience for me, and I wish that everyone could have the same.