Why Everyone Should Experience The Magic Of 'Harry Potter'

Even muggles will appreciate these stories.

17
Yahoo Images

I joined the "Harry Potter" bandwagon a little late, not reading the first book until I was in high school. However, as soon as I picked up the first book, I was instantly captivated by the magic of the series, both literally and figuratively. Not only is J.K. Rowling a phenomenal writer with an endless imagination, but the series possesses a certain mesmerizing quality that can't be found in just any old book.

Diving into this peculiar world of wizards and magic made me fall in love with reading all over again, and I soon found myself unable to put the books down. To this day, I still re-read them and watch the movies over and over. I will always be a fan of the stories, no matter my age. The "Harry Potter" series is one that will stretch your imagination and allow you to experience the captivating story of the boy who lived.

If you have already read the series or seen the movies, then you probably know exactly where I'm coming from. If you haven't yet embarked on this incredibly magical journey, let me make this clear: it is not too late. Please do not listen to the absurd notion that these are stories just for children. I personally would argue that reading/watching this series as a young adult allowed me to better understand the significant underlying themes which are presented and appreciate the beauty of the world Rowling created.

I actually recently took a Leadership Studies class where we examined moral and ethical principles at play in the series. I so enjoyed being able to dive deeper into the stories and challenge myself to understand them on a new level. The themes presented throughout the stories are actually ethical and moral issues in which we deal with in everyday life. I truly believe that we can learn something about ourselves by analyzing and understanding these themes.

The first of these is the simplistic idea of good versus evil. Think about it—this theme can be found in nearly every book, movie, television show or comic book out there. Why is this? Perhaps it is because every single one of us fights a battle against some form of evil, whether it be addictions, temptations, abuse, crime or whatever your own personal struggle is with. In "Harry Potter," the main characters such as Harry, Hermione, Ron and Dumbledore always stand strong and face each and every force of evil with the ultimate faith and bravery, just as we should do in our own personal lives. Life isn't always easy, but we must face each day with abundant strength and positivity.

The themes of loyalty and friendship also remain constant throughout the stories. Harry probably has the best friends in the entire world, as they repeatedly make sacrifices in order to support him and accomplish the ultimate goal of defeating Voldemort, despite the danger it poses. These are the type of friends we should surround ourselves with. Harry cares not of infinite popularity and fame, but instead he desires close relationships with the people he loves most. I think we often get so caught up in gaining approval from everyone around us that we forget the only opinions that actually matter come from those who would love us no matter what.

Finally, the theme of doing the right thing and working to be an inherently good person is arguably the most important idea which honestly drives the entire plot. In the beginning, Harry Potter is just a boy who comes from unpleasant circumstances and is put in undesirable situations, but throughout the series, he constantly chooses to do the right thing regardless of the consequences. He is a truly good and just person, and he can teach us all a thing or two about selflessness and doing the right thing.

If you haven't yet read "Harry Potter," I really hope you will. No matter how old you are, the lessons presented in this story are crucial to human existence and can guide us in our individual journeys through life.