Why Everyone Really Should Adopt Instead Of Shop

No, the Sarah McLachlan commercial will not be referenced.

88
YouTube

A lot of people can agree with me when I say pets are the greatest gifts we have ever received. Whether you're a dog and cat person or a lizard and bird person, there are always animals out there to keep you company. Most people throw around the quote, 'Adopt, Don't Shop!' fairly often.

However, no one really takes it to seriously. I'm here to tell you why you truly should adopt a pet instead of buying it from the pet store.

I own a bearded dragon, and that means buying crickets almost every other day. After my usual chat with the girl working at the bug station, I always strolled over to the adoptable cats and would ask to sit in the room with them.

One day, a worker came to me saying that if I loved the cats so much, I should also apply to volunteer at the shelter. After a few days, I decided to apply, and quickly got accepted. From then on, my Tuesdays were for cuddling cats and I couldn't be happier.

The first day I went to the shelter, I couldn't believe the things I was told. Twelve cats occupy the building, each with their own stories. Seeing these cats with matted fur and scared of human contact broke my heart. But what broke my heart the most was when the woman who runs the shelter told me, "Yeah, these cats have been and probably will be here for a while. We got used to it."

This seemed impossible to me. These cats, all alive and fairly well, are constantly being overlooked because they aren't perfectly healthy kittens.

So what if a cat has a few imperfections here and there? Humans aren't perfect either. Why does the cat have to be?

All animals deserve love.

Countless times I have visited my local SPCA and been so upset at what I saw. Cages stuffed with dogs and nothing but a mat for them to lay on. They sit in their own bodily fluids and the only human contact they get is when the workers take care of them, or if someone can happen to fit their hands through the small slots.

The fact that these dogs are waiting for a chance and never get it is devastating. It's similar to the feeling you get when you're picked last on a team, except instead of being on the team, you sit out on the sidelines because you're not "good enough." These poor pups only look for affection and a great place to call home.

When you reach down to pet a cat in the shelter and they hiss at you; it doesn't mean they automatically hate you. Maybe their last owner never pet them and they don't know what being loved feels like.

When you put your hand to a dog's head and they shy away, that doesn't mean they won't make for a good pet. Maybe their last owner beat them uncontrollably.

You may see a bunny or a guinea pig or any small animal sitting in a cage and wonder what it's doing at an adoption center. Instead of questioning why they're in there, think about how nice it would be to give them a forever home.

To go and adopt is way cheaper than to go and buy a pet.

A lot of times a shelter or adoption center will separate the animals by age. This makes for fair pricing and an easier process.

For the place that I volunteer, the cats range from $75 to $150. Cats seven years and up are $75, one to six years are $100, and kittens are $150. The prices are fair, and they all come already spayed, neutered, and vaccinated. If you have a cat, you know that those vet bills add up. Having some of them already covered is a real weight off your shoulders.

Dogs are also sorted by age. They usually all have had some vet visits, and most of the procedures that are needed are done already. Prices depend on your local adoption center. At my local SPCA, puppies are $300, dogs from seven to twelve months are $200, and dogs over a year old are $100. I cannot stress enough how great of a deal that is for such loving dogs!

If you're into small animals like I said earlier, they are most likely (depending on your local shelter) around $15-$25. A lot of times the cages, water bottles, and food will be a bonus added in. This saves the hassle of having to jet over to the pet store and frantically buy more than you actually need.

Adopting a less fortunate pet makes you happy.

No, I'm not breaking out statistics here. From experience and even just volunteering at the shelter every week, I have learned that taking a damaged pet and giving them love makes you feel ecstatic. Think of it as you making a sad friend feel better, except you completely changed this friend's life.

And trust me, they will most certainly change yours.

For the better, of course. You will feel so much pride and happiness for taking such a heartbroken animal and fixing them. The amount of love that this animal will give you is insane. Just thinking about it makes me smile.

So please, if you ever take a stranger's advice,

Adopt, don't shop.