Why Dressing To Impress Is The Key To Success

Why you should learn to look the part.

41
cheap-neckties.com

Unfortunately, it’s what’s on the outside that counts.

Whoever said, “It’s what’s on the inside that counts,” is extremely optimistic and encouraging to mankind. I want to touch upon the importance of first impressions expressed through appearance. Maybe you want to think twice before bumming it in public. Sad, right?

Over the years, my style has ranged anywhere from sweatpants and T-shirts, to blazers and strappy heels. Some people dress for the couch every day, while others think about what they are going to wear for a certain event weeks prior. I've found comfort in between. As of more recently though, after completing my first year of college and studying fashion, I’ve come to realize that people who dress well stand out to the right people in the right ways. Call me shallow but, judging from observation and experience, getting compliments on your professionalism is a great way to initiate a conversation.

Our visual aesthetic and how others view us through our clothing and appearance is extremely important. Let me make this clear however, success and beauty come in all shapes, sizes and colors. You have to accentuate your best qualities, those you would want your future employers noticing. All company cultures differ wherever you go, but it is essential for you to do research before applying for the job you want. Dress as if you are employed at your dream job.

“You never get a second chance to make a first impression.”

The first impression is based upon how you conversationally and physically present yourself. When approaching someone, whether you're consciously aware of this or not, you judge that individual based upon appearance. Unless you are contacting someone via phone, your eyes are the first contact you have with someone. If you choose to dress like you just woke up, like you’re on your way to a night club or like you’re on your way to the beach, employers may get the wrong idea.

According to Forbes, dressing well can increase your income. The question is, how? Well, dressing causes an increase in self respect and self-composure. When a person feels liberated and confident with what they are wearing, it shows in their personality. We tend to have more of an urge to talk to people when we are comfortable with how we look.

"Regardless of what you’ve done in the past, how much money you have in your bank account, how famous you are, or how fat you’ve become, a man in a well-tailored suit will always get treated better than some salami off the street." — Mr. Mafioso

That salami off the street could be a great employee but most hiring companies aren't going to give that person a second chance.

Though appearance is the key to success, personality is the deal breaker. Having an attitude worth keeping and having style worth seeing is the icing on the cake of success, but keep in mind, you could pass your future boss on the street without even realizing it.