Doing Nails Is More Than Just A Hobby, It's A Passion

The true story of how I became a nail technician.

3632
Amanda McBride

To this day, I really don't know how exactly how this passion came into existence. So I'll try and explain in the best way I know how.

One day, when I was a freshman in high school, like any other girl, I wanted to paint my nails. I chose a nude/pinkish color and then thought to myself: I want to put a design on these or do something fun! I remember the first design I ever did: That nude/pinkish background color, with free-handed, multicolored lines going in different directions on every nail. Looking back, it was very sloppy so I didn't take a picture, but from then, I was obsessed. Something about painting that design made me so happy and satisfied.

One of my first ever nail designs — Google Inspired

From there, I started practicing nail art designs. I started re-doing my nails multiple times a week; and with different colors and different designs, I loved to challenge myself! I would look forward to getting home from school so I could spend my afternoons doing my nails instead of doing my homework. Reflecting now, I realize I probably spent hours every week on this randomly discovered passion of mine. I was searching everything "nail-related" on the internet, I was watching nail art tutorials on YouTube as well as googling nail art and practicing the designs I found. Some of my favorite YouTube Channels at the time were: Wildflower Nails, Robin Moses, and LOVE4NAILS. A lot of my inspiration came from these channels.

My friends at school would say, "Wow you re-did your nails again? Didn't you just do those yesterday?" Yes, Yes I did. I didn't know what it was, I just loved doing nails so much, so I kept making the effort.

Another example of one of my first "pre-professional" nail designs — Google Inspired

One day, I discovered Sally Beauty Supply and started visiting at least twice a week. And of course, I looked forward to payday because that meant I could buy even more "nail-related things." I started buying swatches, lots of nail polish, acrylic paint and glitter. I even bought sets of nail art brushes and different nail additives. And then one day, I discovered acrylic nails! I watched tons of YouTube videos on acrylic nails, bought all of the necessary supplies and taught myself how to do them.

Seeing this new obsession of mine, a lot of my friends started asking me if I could do their nails for Homecoming, Prom, and other events. I started charging $10 for a manicure and from all of this practice, I kept getting better and my passion for it kept growing.

My senior Prom Nails: LOL!

An example of one of my first designs with Acrylics — Google Inspired.

By the time I was a senior in high school, it was time to figure out college. I decided on BGSU and at this time, my passion for doing nails was even greater. I shared with my mom how much I enjoyed it, and she mentioned that if I really loved it that much I should see if I can make this hobby a career. I started doing some research on being a nail technician and how I would go about it, when I came across the Ohio State School of Cosmetology: The Spa School (Salon Schools Group.) They had just what I was looking for: A program only for nails! My mom and I scheduled a visit and fell in love.The program was 300 hours long and could be completed in as little as 7 weeks. This worked perfectly since I was attending BGSU in the Fall.

I graduated high school, had two weeks of free time and then started my Managing-Manicuring Nail Technology Program at The Spa School. I attended 38 hours a week and finished in about 8 weeks. In fact, I finished just a few days before I had to move into my dorm for freshman year. Talk about perfect timing!

A picture of me when I graduated Nail School

After moving into my dorm, I received my date to take my Stateboard Test to officially get my Manicuring License. As hoped, I passed! And from there, I continued doing mine and my friends nails.

Examples of nails I did when I actually knew how to do them correctly — LOL.

After my freshman year, I moved back home for the summer and began applying for jobs at salons. My first job was at Blake Rose Salon & Spa, where I met one of my favorite people, Danielle. Even though I knew how to do nails, I was fresh out of school; therefore, not professionally experienced and definitely not using the best products possible. I had a lot to learn and Danielle taught me so much! She is half the reason I know how to do nails as well as I do right now and she served as a mentor for me. Danielle and I worked great together and had an awesome summer. After getting used to how much I loved working in the salon environment, unfortunately, it was time for me to go back to BGSU for my sophomore year.

The following summer, I was once again, searching for a job at a salon. The salon I had worked at previously loved me, but only wanted to hire a full-time employee. So I began searching again for nail technician jobs available, when I came across my home now, The W Nail Bar!

I found The W on indeed.com, funny huh? I emailed my resume and explained my situation with being in college and home for breaks. I received an email back within an hour requesting an interview! I was so shocked and excited! I got the job and started working a few weeks later.

A few weeks in, I realized The W Nail Bar was definitely where I belonged. With amazing, down-to-earth bosses, incredible co-workers and a very meaningful mission, The W was exactly what I was looking for. To make things even better, my bosses have been so supportive of me being in school and they even let me work whenever I am on breaks! How amazing. I have now been employed for almost a year and a half and couldn't be more grateful. The W always assures me I have a home with them and I love them so much.

So, I guess the real question is, why on earth do I love doing nails so much? What about it is so amazing? I mean after all, how could cutting dead tissue off someone's nails and scraping the dirt out from underneath someone's toenail really be that satisfying?

I guess I have to start by saying that doing nails is just so fun, and really takes me away. Any type of art (in general) is a coping skill for me when I'm stressed. Nails to me are tiny canvases that need some painting. Better yet, they're tiny canvases that need some art! Every time I finish a manicure or pedicure, I feel so satisfied and accomplished. I feel happy and proud of myself when I create an intricate design, or give someone a great service. It makes me feel like I did something good for someone else. It's one of the biggest things I am confident in.

To make it even better, doing nails gives me the opportunity to meet some of the greatest people. I meet so many people from different backgrounds, interests, personalities, jobs, experience... everything under the sun. The diversity is incredible. I've met a woman who works with Cheetahs at the Columbus Zoo. I've met a woman who has her own TV show. I've met Amber Valetta, and done the nails of countless brides. I've experienced more doing nails than I ever thought I would. I've learned how to handle overbearing customers. I've learned how to satisfy customers, and how to adapt to situations I cannot control. I've learned the value of hard work and how it pays off. I've learned that I'm a perfectionist and that I will always put my best effort in absolutely everything that I do.

I've learned from doing nails why other people love getting theirs done: because it's very relaxing and serves as an escape in some way. Well for me, doing the nails is an escape as well. I don't know how to explain it, but it's just so much fun. Most days don't even feel like work because I love what I do. I love spending time on a nail art design and having conversations with strangers. I love building connections with other people and giving someone an amazing service, because you never know what kind of day someone had. I love making a difference in someone's life, even something as simple as a manicure at the end of a long work day. And don't get me wrong, like any job, this job may be tough and exhausting, and some days are definitely more stressful than others. But when it comes down to it, doing nails is my passion and it forever will be. And still to this day, I really don't know what sparked this passion. I thank God every day for this talent and opportunity, because it has largely shaped who I am today in many different ways. It will always be one of my favorite things to do.

Whatever your passion is, take it and run with it. Run after your dreams and watch what you can accomplish when you chase after your goals and follow your heart.