Why Dear Evan Hansen Is So Important In Today's Society

For those thinking of ending their life, you will be found.

829
Tumblr

In case you have been living under a rock, let me shed some light on this inspiring new musical. Dear Evan Hansen tells a story about a high school outcast (Evan) who wants to feel like he is actually a part of his society. He has serious social anxiety and is told by his therapist to write letters to himself, hence the title Dear Evan Hansen. He breaks his arm falling out of a tree and struggles to get someone to sign his cast. He has a major crush on this one girl (Zoe) and all he wants is for her to notice him but he is scared to talk to her. Zoe has a brother (Connor) who is also an outcast like Evan. Connor uses drugs a lot and does not have any friends like Evan. The news that Connor has killed himself is a not huge upset to his family or the community. Evan wants to change that by creating The Connor Project and letting everyone know that you are not alone and that you leaving will upset so many people. Evan's mother (Heidi) is never usually around as she works all day then goes to night school. Heidi is a single mother which shows her everyday struggles to try to keep them living a comfortable life while still trying to connect with Evan. Evan overlooks his social anxiety and feeling of loneliness to help keep Connor's memory alive. While doing this he becomes very close with Connor's parents and Zoe. this finally helps him feel like he is worth something in life and that his life has a purpose.

One thing that makes this musical so special and so relevant is the whole theme and the fact that this contemporary music is bringing younger people to Broadway to see it. It also opens the eyes of most people who don't know what it is like to live in an environment like Evan's or what it's like to live with a mental illness. The story focuses on Evan keeping Connor's memory alive in his community and all over the nation. It raises awareness of suicide prevention and how being an outcast and having a mental illness can affect someone's life so much. The realness of this show is why it is so important. Evan is a high school student living with social anxiety, has no friends, is being raised by a single mother who is never around, and feels lonely and suicidal.

In today's society, the topic of suicide is becoming more and more "popular". A lot of issues teens are facing and how the world reacts to that is worse than it ever was. Most people are not educated enough to even begin to help someone with a mental illness or someone who is feeling suicidal. This musical brings this issue into the limelight and gives a side of the story you don't usually see.

The actual music to this show is truly inspiring. The show opens with "Anybody Have a Map?", which is sung by Evan's and Connor's Mother trying to connect with their sons. It shows their struggles as mothers. The most known song of the show is "Waving Through a Window" sung by Evan when he is trying to be noticed in school and get others to sign his cast. This song shows how he is feeling and that no one is noticing him and that he will just stay in the shadows so no one can see him screw up. He is questioning his life and wondering if anyone will ever notice him. To me, the most inspirational song is "You Will Be Found". This song is showing that there is always someone there for you. Some of the lyrics are "even when the dark comes crashing through, when you need someone to carry you when you're broken on the ground, You Will Be Found". These lyrics are so important because it reminds you that no matter what you are going through and what you are feeling, your life is worthy and someone is there for you. I strongly suggest that you go and listen to this song, no matter what you are feeling this song will make you feel empowered.

Overall, this show is truly inspiring and it sheds a light on one of the most important topics of our time. I highly recommend going to see this show if you can, but if not absolutely listen to the soundtrack and be inspired to help someone in your life that may be struggling with these issues. For those thinking of ending their life, You Will Be Found <3

Suicide Hotline: 1-800-273-8255