Does Cost Should be an Important Factor When Choosing a Fertility Treatment

There are several factors you need to consider when making your choice

36

Many people have difficulties conceiving. Luckily, in this day and age there are several options available to help you get pregnant. However, not all fertility treatments are the same. There are several factors you need to consider when making your choice between them. In the end, price might have to be the final determining factor, especially if you do not have insurance coverage for these types of procedures. While discussing your options with your doctor, you can also compare the costs of fertility treatments and balance that against the potential benefits.

At-Home Insemination

An at-home insemination can cost you anywhere between $1200 and $1400, plus whatever shipping costs you might incur. With an at-home insemination, you don't have to visit a clinic and be invasively examined by a doctor. For many people going to the clinic is an intimidating or uncomfortable experience.

The other benefit of doing it at-home is that you can go through the procedure on your own schedule. You do not need to make appointments or take time off of work to get there. You can do it at any time of day when you feel comfortable. You and your partner can make a special moment out of it if you'd like. All you have to do is store the donated sperm properly and follow the instructions that come with your kit.

Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)

Intrauterine Insemination involves the same procedures as at-home insemination. The difference is that it is done at a clinic by a doctor. They will monitor your cycles and ovulation and make sure to time it correctly to provide the highest possibility of pregnancy. The cost of IUI can range greatly between $300 and $4000. The reason for the discrepancy is that many people choose to try several cycles, and some choose medications to help boost the chance of pregnancy. On top of those costs is the cost of ultrasounds and other tests to monitor the mother's condition during the process. Both IUI and at-home insemination come with an approximate 5 to 30% chance of success.

In Vitro Fertilization

In vitro fertilization (IVF) involves removing the eggs from the uterus and combining them with sperm in a petri dish. They then go through an embryonic period before being placed back inside the uterus. The theory is that the controlled environment of the lab provides a more stable place for the embryos to develop. Once back inside the uterus, the already developing embryos will have the opportunity to impregnate the mother.

IVF is the most expensive of all of the choices, coming in at an average cost of $12,000. With other costs, such as medications, it can easily reach $20,000 and beyond. It's the most expensive option, but it also has the highest chance of success. Depending on age, it can be as high as 40%. That number can go up if you go through with more cycles than just one.

It's important that you choose the method that is best for you and works for your budget. You might think that it will be worth it to spend money you can't afford to get the highest chance of having a baby. However, you may still be unsuccessful, and even if you are successful, you could be putting yourself in a negative financial position that could harm the child's future. Make sure that you make smart choices for both your chances of pregnancy, and for your financial stability.