Remember, Complaining Is A Good Thing

Remember, Complaining Is A Good Thing

For those who thought complaining made you simply look like a whiner.

138
Remember, Complaining Is A Good Thing
Photo by Climate KIC on Unsplash

Complaining: At some point, we have all done it. It is an inevitable activity used as a way to get things off of our chests, to release tension from an unexpected situation, or make us feel better about ourselves when things simply do not go our way. I say inevitable not only because we all have done it in the past, but we will all most definitely take part in it in the future.

Yet despite the way it makes us feel after we have blown off all that steam, complaining still carries a negative connotation with it. There are still those people out there that will tell us "Why don't you quit whining all the time!"

I believe that complaining can actually be a good thing. If you have ever been at work and have dealt with an unreasonable customer or fellow colleague, you could handle it one of two ways: either let it run off your shoulder like nothing ever happened, or you go and find your #1 confident and let the fumes rage for a moment. When I chose the second method, after a few moments, I actually felt better! It literally felt as though a giant weight had been taken straight from my chest and tossed into a very deep pond with no sign of ever being discovered again.

Obviously, there are people out there who hate complaining and can't stand the idea of being around those that complain all the time, which is completely understandable. I would personally much rather hang out with, work with, and generally be around someone who was much more positive and laid back rather than uptight and "whining" all the time. After all, there are plenty of Debby-downers in this world as is.

However, this is why I think it is so important for us to remember that complaining can actually be a very positive thing when utilized in an adult, professional way. I believe that once everyone realizes that complaining can actually be used to create change, be it in the work environment, in your personal life, your relationships, etc, we can actually start treating the complaints as constructive criticism and less like negative energy.

Talk to your boss or supervisor about your criticism while offering solutions about how to make it better. Break your complaint down into actions steps that can bring about change incrementally, that way you show that you aren't just willing to talk about problems without offering solutions.

I get it. We all need to vent at some point. This is a luxury that will never get old, and will never go away. But there comes a time when we need to take our subjective perspectives out of the equation, put on our objective glasses, and look at the situation in a way that can actually help improve the situation that we disagree with.

You could appear much more respectful, professional, helpful, and even analytical when done correctly and with class, which is why complaining can be a good thing for everyone in the long run.