Why Communities Are Important

Why Communities Are Important

It isn't only about how we contribute to society but how society helps us evolve.

25
Why Communities Are Important
Unisci24, Markus Wiendorf

A fundamental idea in sociology is that there are characteristics that arise at the social level that cannot be found at the level of the individual.

Consider a water compound, H2O, made of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom. The hydrogen and oxygen, individually, carry their own traits. However, the compound — the combination of the atoms — contains characteristics that the individual atoms do not.

With regard to society, there are many theories as to what these special characteristics are, and researchers continue to look into what they might be.

At a very basic level, consider an institution — a school, for example. I would argue not only that individuals change when they're in school, but that they help constitute an entity outside of themselves. They constitute classes, where enthusiastic discussions are held; they perform in plays, where they depict animated characters; they partake in music ensembles, where they contribute to a very specific sound — one that wouldn't exist if they weren't there; they get involved in the debate team, sports, newspapers, and other organizations.

It isn't only about how we contribute to society but how society, as a result of our contributions, helps us evolve.

So this is a note in support of communities, where new characteristics arise — where friendships are formed and new ideas are created, where people are influenced for the good and the bad, but are often, in some way, inspired.

I didn't appreciate my small high school until I entered an enormous college that I'm still learning to navigate. But, at the same time, I could have never imagined myself in such a huge college environment, with the ability to make strides, meet people, and learn so much.

It doesn't need to be a high school or a university, it can be a book club, a dance studio, a religious community, or a workplace. It can be as big or as small as you'd like.

I found refuge in both my high school and college newspapers. My high school newspaper — a small but mighty operation — not only gave me tools I would need to succeed in future writing, such as on my college paper, but it gave me friends and surrounded me with people who had similar interests.

My college paper is an entirely different breed — a staff of 250 people, most of whom, I will never meet. But it feels like a work environment. It's a place that is high-powered and never-ending, Sunday through Thursday. It's a home away from my small apartment — a place I've found friends, a place I've grown.

I encourage you to join, to act, to bask in the existence of a small world outside of your even tinier personal one.

Of course, we all do this. Everyone has a something to call their own, whether they do it with friends or family or all alone. But too often, I believe, we don't think about how this group is influencing us. It isn't just what am I giving to this and what am I taking away from this(?) but rather, what can I get out of this that I cannot get anywhere else(?).

Think of the things you laugh at and the things you learn — the inside jokes you may have with your best friend, or a sentiment you share with someone you don't know that well.

Think of yourself in the future, being able to see a photo of your school or old studio, or rather reading about it somewhere, and just think of what will you remember. Think of how you will allow yourself to smile, or cry, or maybe even roll your eyes because it didn't work out but at least you gave it a shot.

Your challenge will be to find the features of your respective community that distinguish it from your personal life — the features that influence you, the things you learn, the mindset to which you adapt, the projects you take on, and the random facts you learn from the people whom you encounter.

Think of what you will tell people in the future — your spouse or friends or even your children. Which community will stand out for you? From which one will you have a story?

I encourage you to recognize this place as soon as you can and enjoy it while it is yours.