Why Coconut Oil Could Change (And Even Save) Your Life

This nutrient-dense oil isn't just a fad, and new research suggests it may be even better than we ever thought.

7
The Huffington Post

When it comes to health and beauty-related products, I have trained myself to have very low expectations. No matter how hyped-up a product is, the reality is that most end up falling flat. Not only do they typically take weeks upon months to show results, but the results never seem to match the price tag. However, after months of hearing about the supposed benefits of using coconut oil, I finally decided to give it a go. Lo and behold, it didn't meet my expectations.

It exceeded them!

I have now turned into a self-proclaimed coconut oil nut. Never did I ever think I would become this person, but I cannot help but swear by it. I use it daily, and while I initially bought it for skin-care reasons, I found out pretty quickly that it is actually so much more versatile than that. It has health, beauty, and practical benefits that altogether make it a must-have in your home!

Health Benefits

First of all, this oil is a wonderful substitute for processed, unnatural cooking oils. Yes, it is high in saturated fat, but the type found in coconut oil actually has benefits in the body. According to Clean Eating Magazine, the oil is made up of medium chain triglycerides, which is preferred by the body for energy use instead of body fat storage. It has antimicrobial properties, and it even produces ketones in the body, an energy source for the brain. As a natural laxative, it also works to detoxify the body. Some research even suggests it may aid in weight loss! (Check out this study for more info: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3226242/)

Is coconut oil good for the brain? New research suggests that it may be a key agent in neuronal survival. While research in this area is still quite young, there have been exciting studies that suggest that this may be the case. This would be HUGE! As my neuroscience professor would always say, neurons are our body’s greatest resource. As we age, we naturally lose neurons, making our brain function at a lower level. However, the ability to keep more neurons around for longer would mean better memory retention, slower aging, and possibly even the delay of dementia-type disease onset in the brain. (For more info, visit: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24150106?dopt=Abstract)

Not only is it good for you, but it is also incredibly delicious! Saute some veggies in coconut oil for an easy and tasty side dish, try frying clumps of shredded sweet potatoes in it for a sweeter (and healthier!) alternative to traditional hash browns, or throw a spoonful into a smoothie before blending.

Fun fact: you can blend a spoonful into coffee for a delicious twist on the everyday favorite, and it will even give it a frothy quality that makes your morning ritual that much more delightful.

Beauty Benefits

Coconut oil is an incredible moisturizer. Try using it all over your body after a warm shower for silky smooth skin and a healthy glow, or use it in the evenings on your face as a night cream. When you wake up, simply wash your face with hot water, pat dry, and revel in the rejuvenation of your skin. Paired with honey and sugar, it makes an incredible, all-natural face and body scrub that your friends will be begging you for. Did you know that it also works very well as an eye make-up remover? Simply warm some up in on your fingers and gently rub onto your eyelids in a circular motion. Works like a charm! Even more, you can use it as a highlighter. After applying your face makeup, just dab it on the top of your cheekbones for a dewy finish.

This product doesn't just benefit your skin; it also can help tame a frizzy mane and condition dry hair. Coat the ends of damp hair and blow dry to immediately brighten and revitalize dead strands.

Practical Benefits

Finally, coconut oil is extremely easy to find; it has expanded into nearly many grocery store chains, and it is very inexpensive. I found my 16 oz jar at Trader Joe's for only $4.99! It is very easily stored, and it lasts a long time. I bought mine about a year ago, and I ran out only a few weeks ago.

Without a doubt, you will get your money's worth out of the investment.

So... what's stopping you?

DISCLAIMER: Don't just take my word for it; do your own research! While I relied on my own honest experiences and research, I am not an expert in the field.