Why Christian Leadership is an Important Part of My Life

From a terrified camper to a counselor, God has pushed me to my utmost limits.

203
Pexels.com

Everyone has a reason why they are who they are as a person. Many people may say their friends have played a huge role in their life while others may say their family. While both of these groups have definitely helped mold me into the young adult I am today, for me, Christian leadership has been one of the most critical aspects in my life to help make me a person I am proud about and want others to know.

I was born into a Lutheran family within the LCMS church. I was baptized as a baby and raised to go to Sunday school and once I was old enough, religion classes on Wednesdays. I'm not going to lie, I didn't actually enjoy having to go all of the time. As I grew older, I often found this time as something that was just a bother to my routine of school, sports, and other extracurriculars. Once I hit eighth grade, I was officially in what is known at my church as my confirmation class. We would read out of Luther's Small Catechism and would take steps to prepare us for becoming an adult in our church and be able to receive communion. While some days I dreaded attending these classes, part of my faith grew as this was also the very first year that I would a Christian summer camp on my own. I was terrified as I was super shy and had never been away from home for a week before without actually knowing someone, but this experience along with my confirmation changed my life.

Once I was confirmed and had this camp experience, I would find myself taking charge of my faith. I was still silent and quiet about it, as I would be the one to sit and listen, but I knew that I no longer "had" to go to church and ultimately, it was my decision. While I did struggle immensely at times, I soon found myself on a roller coaster that was about to take off, and fast.

You see, this camp that I was so scared to go to? I found myself becoming a high school volunteer for three years after this. I loved attending my weekly youth group and felt like I belonged. I would travel to Idaho for a servant event as well as both Texas and New Orleans for a national youth gathering where I would also do many different service projects. I thought that I was the strongest I had ever been in my faith and yet I was so very wrong.

2016. The year I graduated from school. The year I would no longer be a member of this youth group. The year I would start college and most definitely the year I dreaded the most. Being away from home with no car, I wasn't able to run back to my church family. I didn't know about any of the opportunities on campus and my faith might as well have hit a brick wall. I felt lost, scared, and distant from the God that I knew. Remember how I said that I was always the quiet one who would sit and listen when it came to my faith? Well, turns out this would damage me completely.

By the end of the year, however, I was able to find a couple of concrete groups to be apart of that were faith-based. I still struggled, but one Christian leader really was the reason why I am where I am today. He reached out, guided me on the right path, was patient, and ultimately gave me the confidence to keep taking charge of my faith.

By now, I was traveling at rocket speed. My sophomore year, and where I currently stand, I feel as if God said "You're done just sitting around and listening. It's your turn to lead." I now find myself as a leader in a wonderful Christian Organization on my college campus, that I have even spoken for. I will soon be a camp counselor at the place where I was a terrified camper. I've found a church within my college town that I would have never known about if it wasn't for the leaders and friends that I have met while on campus. I am blessed with the many opportunities that I have found and been given the chance to have as I grow within my faith.

To all of the teachers, leaders, family and friends who have helped mold and mend me into the Christian, and person, I am today, I thank you. I can't want to see how much more the Lord has in store.