Why I Chose To Become An RA

Why I Chose To Become An RA

Who knew someone could have such a big impact?

325

Freshmen year, I walked into my hall not expecting to become best friends with my floor RA. However, I will tell you that it did indeed happen and it influenced me to become an RA myself.

I was a nervous and anxious freshman entering a new year in a residence hall without the guidance of my parents. Not going lie, my RA was intimidating the first time I met her. She was a junior who seemed to know everything about anything and had a strong demeanor. I don’t know what came over me, but one night I decided to knock on her door to ask a stupid freshmen question that soon started a friendship I am so grateful to have.

Through that scary barrier, my RA Madison is a funny, down-to-earth and a truly genuine person who became my mother figure, as well as one of my best friends, in college. She took on the role as being my “go-to” person and truly helped me adapt to my surrounding. It was shocking how big her role was to my adjustment and my happiness as a resident. That’s when I knew that I also wanted to have the same impact on my residents. So, I signed up, got the job, and here I am, writing to you as an RA.

It has only been a few weeks since the residents moved in and I have been an active RA, but I can safely say that I don’t regret making this choice. I thoroughly enjoy being the resource on the floor who can help any of the residents. Not only that, it has allowed me to meet so many new people and interact with so many unique individuals that being an RA is actually fun. Yes, being an RA puts a lot on my plate. The responsibilities I have, put me into positions that obligates me to make serious decisions, but it also lets me be a positive (hopefully) influence on my floor and the hall. It allows me to make a difference.

If you are doing it for just the money, I advise you not to take on this role. The money is a perk of this job, but you need to love being with people while constantly connecting with a hugely diverse group of people. It should excite you to bond with the residents and plan programs for them. On a resume, it’s a job, but it shouldn’t feel like one.

So thank you to my #1 RA, Madison, who opened up this door for me. Her impact led me to become an RA who may have the same meaningful effect on others. With the new year, I am truly excited to see what this new opportunity will bring. Wish me luck!