5 Reasons I Choose To Be A Teacher

5 Reasons I Choose To Be A Teacher

An insight on how teachers do more than just "teach"

626
5 Reasons I Choose To Be A Teacher
Unsplash

I have always loved children, but being a teacher wasn't always where I saw myself. I used to be an intended nursing major but realized that I wasn't in love with what I was doing or what I was learning. I didn't like going to class and I hated everything I learned. I had to take a step back, realize why I originally wanted to be a nurse, and figure out what else I could do with that same desire to help others.

Which is why I choose to be a teacher.

Choose, as in it is something that I do every day. I choose everyday to teach your children, listen to them, grow with them, inspire them, and love them.

Sometimes as an Education major you are questioned why we even want to teach? The most common remarks I hear are:

"Why don't you just quit now? You're still young, you can change your major."

"Are you reallyyyy sure this is what you want to do with the rest of your life?"

"Why would you want to be with kids all day?? No thanks!"

I believe teaching is a calling, and not everybody can be called to do the same thing. What a boring world that would be! But in response to those who wonder why I want to become a teacher, or just to shed light on why I love teaching so much, here are my five reasons on why I choose teaching everyday.

1. Creating a Change That is More Than Just Curriculum

Students are expected to learn an amount of information each year so they can progress to the next grade level. As teachers, we are expected to give students the best resources and tools to learn this information in a way that best suits them. However, I bring more to my learning than just a written test or a writing prompt. I am teaching students how to be kind to one another, how to show respect to your classmates and teachers, and how to accept others even though we are all different. Students come to school expecting to be taught a certain standard, or learn a new lesson in Social Studies. But I have noticed that when I bring attention to a student's behavior (good or bad), they don't really know how to react to it. Students are not used to being told how to be nice to others or how to accept praise when they are showing positive behavior. I want to promote more discussion in my classrooms where students feel comfortable talking to one another (or me) about how they are feeling or if something is bothering them. Appropriate communication skills will help eliminate poor behavior in the classroom and teach students how to express themselves in a more positive manner.

2. Getting Students Excited About School

Most students walk into the classroom first thing in the morning slow, uninterested, and/or irritable because they aren't excited about the next 7 hours of learning and instruction...which I understand! I remember being in elementary school and feeling the same way; my only concern was figuring out who I could trade my lunch with and when I was having my next sleepover. I was never excited about learning because my teachers never made learning fun...and I want that to change. Learning CAN be fun if teachers take the time to research new and interesting ways to teach their material. Instead of reading a textbook passage, let's create a song to remember why our heart is so important for our body! Instead of giving a timed multiplication sheet, let's use class activities to demonstrate how to create groups of numbers to understand how multiplication and addition go hand-in-hand to deepen their understanding. Learning should be fun, and I want to get my students ready to engage everyday they come to class!

3. Helping Students See Their Potential

From a lot of my clinical teaching experience, I have seen that a lot of teachers focus so much on telling students when they are wrong or need to improve and hardly spend any time praising them or telling them how well they are doing. I choose to teach to change this demeanor for my classroom; students shouldn't only always be told what's wrong. How can you expect them to want to do well, or model positive behavior, if you are never telling them what good behavior is? I want my students to know I see them helping others, I see they are listening and engaging in class, and I am here to help them become the best students possible.

4. Becoming a Positive Role Model

I will spend 7+ hours with my students (and your children) everyday...how many hours on a school day do you get to spend with your children?

By the time they get out of school, go to after school care, have any practices or after school activities, or even spend time with their friends...there isn't much time left in the day that parents get one-on-one attention with their children. That is why I am so driven to become these student's positive role model; who they can listen to, confide in, inspire to be, and look forward to seeing everyday. Because I am who they will see most, and I have such a significant impact on all of my students, I want my positive impact to reflect in their lives when they leave the classroom.

5. Always Accepting Their Love

No matter what...Children. Need. Love.

It never fails that everyday I will receive hugs, hand holds, waves across the hallway, or requests to sit right next to them during lunch time. I aim to spread love among my students, but it reassures me when I see them aim to reciprocate that love back to me. I choose to teach because I want to show my students that it is okay to express your appreciation for your teachers and classmates. Growing up, my favorite teachers were those who tried to have personal relationships with me. It made my school day so much more enjoyable when I knew that my teacher genuinely cared about me outside of my academic success. I don't believe that teachers and students should only have professional interactions with one another...show love and you will receive love!

I choose to teach because I want to make a difference everyday I come to work, and I feel so blessed that I am in love with what I will be doing for years to come.

"Educating the mind without educating the heart is no education at all." - Aristotle