Why 'Body Posi' Is Making Me Sick

Why 'Body Posi' Is Making Me Sick

"Body Posi"- social media savior or internet epidemic?

200
Why 'Body Posi' Is Making Me Sick
Silvana Denker

Body Posi- like communism, it sounds really good on paper, but in the real world it just does't seem to work. For those of you who don't know, "body posi" is short for "body positivity" and has recently become the key term for a social media movement that is supposed to encourage people to love their bodies despite societal pressures to look a certain way. Sounds like a great idea right? Wrong.

I, like many other women in the world, are sick and tired of all this "body posi" bull crap. Body Posi has just become yet another movement to idealize women's bodies to this unrealistic standard and not only that but we've split into two competing sides. You're either "big and beautiful" or you have a super model body. Suddenly, there's this pressure to be either "thick" or "super-model-skinny" and if you're anything in between, forget about it you might as well not even exist.

Don't believe me? Take Nicki Minaj's Anaconda for example. Her last verse has a line that says "F*** the skinny bitches, F*** the skinny bitches in the club". Really Nicki? Now, I understand that everyone's going to make come backs like "Oh well, it's rap music. It's supposed to be vulgar" or "Did you really expect something better than that from Nicki Minaj" and YES I did expect something better than that from Nicki Minaj. She's an avid feminist advocate, to be clear she may even be the ONLY feminist that some young girls identify with and for a young girl to be told that it's not okay to be skinny is scary.

What's even more scary is that Nicki Minaj isn't the only one. More and more artists are jumping on this body posi band wagon, the most popular being Meghan Trainor whose first major hit All About That Bass should basically just be the body posi anthem. All About That Bass even included a line that stated "boys they like a little more booty to hold at night".

I mean really? Why? Why does it have to be this way? And what even is this idea of "thick" anyways? Well basically a "thick" girl is a girl who has- to further quote Meghan Trainor- "all the right junk in all the right places" or -to further quote Nicki Minaj- a girl whos "little in the middle but she got much back".

And I wish it stopped there. I wish upbeat pop music was the furthest extent of our troubles. This movement spreads into advertisement and major companies and every reality tv star to have any sort of social media account is on this band wagon too.

Victoria Secret even had a "Love Your Body" campaign a couple years ago which received extensive backlash because every model in the ad had nearly the exact same photo shopped body.

Can we even stop this mess? I mean it feels to deeply engraved into our minds that people should looks a certain way and when they don't there's hell to pay for it. You have to be skinny but not too skinny. You should be thick but not too thick. And here we are creating a movement to love your body but no. It's no longer about "loving your body" its about "loving the body I think you should have".

It's sickening. Even worse, it's scary. It's scary to have young girls growing up in a society that celebrates body positivity as only 2 ends of a very wide spectrum.

Are we just going to sit back and let this happen? Or are we going to challenge this? Everybody in society today, whether you're male or female has these idealistic images of what we should look like forced upon us. Everybody feels this social pressure. As a society we should stand up and refute this idea of what a "perfect body" is.

I'm sick of "body posi" and you should be too.