Why Blue Bloods Is One Of The Best Tv Shows

"Good Cops Are Made By The World They Police" -Henry Reagan
437

A few months ago I stumbled across a new show on Netflix, and I knew right away that I had to watch it. I’d seen a few commercials for it on TV, and always thought it looked like my kind of show. I mean, a show about a family in the NYPD? C’mon, that has me written all over it. What really caught my eye about the Netflix cover for it, was admittedly Tom Selleck. I’m a die-hard Friends fan (like really crazy), and I loved Tom Selleck’s character, Richard, on the show. In case you haven’t figured out by now, I’m talking about the TV show, Blue Bloods. It’s an American police drama series on CBS, and it’s currently in its seventh season. The show averages about 13 million viewers, so you could say it’s been a little successful. I’ve watched a lot of TV shows, so I get a little picky when rating them, but I can honestly say that Blue Bloods is one of the best shows I’ve watched. It’s real life, real issues, real people, while also staying fairly clean, and still adding in some fun drama. Here’s the reasons why I adore Blue Bloods:

The family dinners.

I don’t think there’s anything as heartwarming as the family dinner scenes that have become an iconic part of Blue Bloods. To finally find a TV show that doesn’t have a dysfunctional family is rare, and Blue Bloods really set a new bar on this one. They emphasize the importance of family, and making time for your loved ones. No matter what case they are working on, or what is going on in their lives, they all sit down over a home-cooked meal, and talk through their issues. The values on this show are refreshing, and are part of what really sets Blue Bloods apart.

Their faith.

This is a show that isn’t afraid to mention faith, or show how important it is in the Reagan family. All too often any mention of God is avoided on television these days, but in Blue Bloods, family prayers are important, church is attended on Sundays, and their Catholic faith is a part of who they are.

Jamko.

You know I had to go here. I’ve been shipping Jamie & Eddie since the first moment they met. Sure, the writers have loved to tease the Jamko storyline, and we even got one kiss a few seasons ago. What I really love about them though, is their incredible friendship. They put their lives on the line every day, and completely trust each other to have their back. Eddie and Jamie put their friendship, and their partnership at work before having a romantic relationship. As much as that may drive some fans crazy, I think it’s really special. They care enough about each other to really value what they have. With that said, I’m really rooting for this season to be the one where they finally acknowledge that they’re in love with each other. I mean, come on, we all know they’re soulmates!

Henry.

As the family patriarch, and retired police commissioner, Henry is the sweet old grandpa that we all adore. He’s always sharing words of wisdom, and is always there to support his family. Personally, I think we could all learn a thing or two from Henry.

Frank.

“I’m going to give you the respect you don’t give me”. I couldn’t write this article without acknowledging Tom Selleck’s character, Frank, because that was the whole reason I started watching this show in the first place. Like father like son, Frank has as many life quotes as Henry does. Tom Selleck has always stood out as an actor, because he has this presence about him that just commands attention. Frank Reagan is a strong leader, loving father, and an indispensable part of the show.

Honestly, I could probably write a paragraph on every character in this show, because I love them all so much. Danny, Linda, Erin- each person on Blue Bloods brings a unique personality and storyline, which helps round out this show to be the network sensation that it is.

The reality.

Blue Bloods covers so many cases and scenarios. They aren’t afraid to go to the hard places, and I think that they show a more realistic side of police life. It is definitely still a TV show, so you can’t expect every single aspect to be spot on realistic, but Blue Bloods does do a great job of showing the real side of the job, and not just the exciting, drama filled moments.

This is the show that I’ve come home to after my long school days and work shifts. When I’m tired, and I need a break, I go visit my favorite family, the Reagans. They’re not perfect, and they let their flaws show, but I always walk away having learned a thing or two from them. They remind me of the things I hold dear in my life- faith, family, hard work, and holding strong to your beliefs. Blue Bloods is setting standards and breaking boundaries.

Thank you for being a breath of fresh air and for not fitting into the mold of today's shows.