Why Being an English Major Brings Me Joy

It's much more than being a bookworm.

216

In September, I changed my major to English with an emphasis in Creative Writing. It was the best choice I made to do with my education. Though, I had to stick out the rest of the semester in my teaching classes. So, I took a break from my passion of writing to make sure that I finished out the semester strong. And I did. I worked so hard to make sure that even though I wasn't feeling successful as a Special Education major, I could bring my GPA up. Just the thought of me going into a major that lets me think critically and abstractly, was something I was highly looking forward to.

Now, I feel that I can connect to the ideas presented to me in class and relate the topics to my own life. It essentially does double duty for me. It also allows me to finally use my creative side and let that expression become alive.Before it felt sort of dormant in my system just waiting for a chance to paint the skies in creative studies. In my classes, I am applying what I am learning to my previous knowledge, experiences, and things that are happening in the world today. In a way, it allows all of my knowledge to come together to help me learn something new.

The most important thing, though, is that it brings me closer to my passion of creative writing. Writing allows me to release feelings and ideas and put them to paper. It also allows me to learn about what type of writing I am interested in. For me, I am interested in narrative non-fiction and poetry. These genres of writing are open to ones self and experience as well as other ideals. If you know me well, you know that this eliminates heavy math and sciences whereas they're both areas that struggle with as they can be more precise and factual.

I wouldn't change my major anything now. I've come to a place where I feel that I can succeed in many different kinds of careers such as technical writing, public relations, museum work, academic research, and so much more. It's all about following your passion. The saying goes: "If you do something you love, you'll never work a day in your life." I highly believe in that. You shouldn't have to feel stuck in a career you hate just because it may be better pay. Do something that drives you to becoming a better person for its values and the knowledge it brings.Now, I know I will succeed and become the best version of myself. And I'm proud of that.