Why Are You Doing The Things You Are Doing?

Stop and ask yourself.

14
ABC

This article will not be very long as my others, but it contains a powerful question I pose to all of you who read this. Why are you doing the things that you are doing?

I have a little sister, and she is the typical elementary school girl, doing all of her own things, and I am doing all of my own things, and we don't get very much time to really talk. So recently I asked her what it is that she wants to be when she grows up. She paused and paused, and finally told me she wants to be a famous singer. And instead of leaving it at that, I asked her why, why she wanted to be a famous singer in her life. Another, even longer pause went by, and she began to tell me how she liked Ariana Grande and wanted to be rich and famous, and have a large house, and a fancy car, and again I asked her why she wanted all of these things. Again she paused, and ultimately she could not come up with an answer.

As we move through life, we seem to do get caught up just doing. We don't question it, or even think twice about why we are doing what we are doing, we just go. And while my sister is young and doesn't necessarily need to begin deeply thinking about these types of questions, it is still an example of never really considering the 'why?'

This is something we can all apply to our lives. You cannot even go a few hours into the day without seeing dozens of advertisements, sales or ideas, that really influence what we want. An ad says you need to go buy these pair of shoes, or this car, for only this amount of money, and very quickly we find ourselves wanting those things, without even questioning why. It is an extremely difficult question and even makes us reconsider so many decisions we have made, however it also helps solidify what we find truly important to ourselves. When we question our motivation for doing what we do, it gives us a better in depth look into who we are as individuals, but also what our priorities are. If we choose to pursue a career purely for the money, we find it is easier to simply just keep wanting more and never really being happy. The same goes with success, or women, or fame, they can act as drugs always pulling us in feeling like we deserve more. First we want a million, and then we want ten millions, and then a hundred, and then five hundred, and then a billion, it acts as a hamster wheel that we just keep chasing. Understand: The bigger the goals we set for ourselves, the better. However, discouragement, bitterness, and envy will be the only results if we do not go bravely in the direction of what we really want, and understand our purpose for why we really want it.

I challenge all of you reading this, to simply take a moment and ask yourself why. We all have such busy lives, filled with complication over many things we do not even have a good reason for doing. Wonder and find awe in what you are doing, and why you are doing it, and you will reveal so much more about who you are, and what it is your soul is after. We all know the five "W" words. "Who", "What", "Where", "When", and of course "Why?"

We have the potential to live incredible lives--do not waste a second on your journey heading to any misplaced destinations. -Hunter Jones