Why Apple Cozies? Why DIY?

Why Apple Cozies? Why DIY?

I just don't understand why DIY.

46
Why Apple Cozies? Why DIY?
Farmish Momma

OK, I have tried to jump on board with a trend that’s been going on for a few years. But no matter how hard I try, I can not seem to understand it.

DIY-ing.

I know, if it’s not hurting anyone, and they enjoy, why should I care?

But I do. And for the life of me I can’t explain why.

But what I also don’t understand is why DIY, when you could buy the exact same item, for cheaper, and for less time? Why would I spend a hundred dollars to make my own wreath, when I can buy one for 40?

I can understand the sentimental value sometimes, but seriously, some of the DIY stuff is just weird. Like silicone wallets made from hot glue. And toilet paper roll flower art. And boxers-turned-into-crop-tops.

If someone has kids and wants to get artsy, I could get that. Some of those DIY projects are great for kids! And it makes great memories. And with the holidays coming around again, it’s a great time to bust out the clay ornament makers and the pipe cleaner candy canes.

But I just can’t get on board with the less useful, more expense DIY’s that bloggers do. Like turning old jeans into earrings. And apple cozies. And buying tons of expensive equipment just to make their own charger, when they could have gotten one for 10 dollars at their local Walgreens.

Don’t get me wrong, I love holiday arts and crafts. I’m doing some this year with my family and I can’t wait to do them, because they’re creative, fun and non-expensive. I love repurposing old stuff. Sometimes. When it can be done cheaply, and for a real purpose. Not for apple cozies and a flimsy remote holder made of cardboard.

But I guess as long as they’re enjoying themselves, and not hurting anyone, more power to them. I just don’t understand it.