Why Animal Rights?

Why Animal Rights?

Animal rights are not only about the preservation of these unique creatures, it is about the preservation of humans as well.

53
Why Animal Rights?
Photo by Kristin Lopez on Unsplash

The Earth began not with humans, but with the birth of material. This, we know. As time drew on, the organisms that had developed on earth became complex, unique, individual creatures. So when man began to utilize animals for their own survival, a connection was formed. This connection, however, was worlds different once it began.

Primitive religion created a general respect for the animals that we ate, wore, killed in general. Before killing an animal, homosapiens would pray to a Creator or the spirit of the creature, thanking it for providing the energy and means that they need to survive. After the creature was properly thanked, it would then be hunted and killed. Though death was still the fate of these animals, they were respected nonetheless.

After centuries of time, civilization set in. People began to value currency and production. Agriculture was on a rise as humans said goodbye to their known lifestyle of capturing and growing food. Though a lot more went into this, the ending result was simply the view of animals changing from respected creatures, into simple products that could be thrown around, manipulated, and farmed. Thus, the need for animal rights were on the rise.

Because of the notion that humans themselves are the overpowering and supreme species of the planet, the pleas of animals to save their habitats and lifestyles were often not heard. The cognitive and metaphysical components of a person ultimately makes it easy to feel as though humans are the only creatures on the planet that deserve to obtain rights. Though, when looking at the rise in dairy and protein products in our lives, animals are becoming more popular in the market, and less common in the open fields. Rainforests are being eradicated and replaced with Palm Oil plantations and other means of agriculture. These rainforests, natural habitats of many of the planet’s most fascinating creatures, not only provide the world with vast and unique life, but clean our air and helps us to breathe. We are willingly throwing away beneficial sources of clean air in order to grow more corn to feed more cows to eat more burgers.

The circle of life is undoubtful. Those who choose to eat animals do so because humans need protein to survive. Even in primitive times when animals were praised, they were still killed for various forms of energy and clothing. Since day one, animals and humans have had a take- give relationship that has since turned into just a take relationship.

With population on the rise, it’s hard to keep in mind that these animals are needing help retaining their population. If their numbers are ignored, then the only creatures that will be left on our planet will be those within agriculture.

Animal rights are not only about the preservation of these unique creatures, it is about the preservation of humans as well. Now that we as humans are beginning to realize the fact that we ourselves are animals, a whole new set of ethics is beginning to arise within our culture. How to we continue on getting the food and resources we need without losing some of the most beautiful creatures we have ever known?