Why 2016 Is Like The '90s

Why 2016 Is Like The '90s

Back to the '90s

126
Why 2016 Is Like The '90s
amazon

A Clinton running for president? Blink 182 released a new album? Girls seen wearing denim skirts and chokers? Nebraska football in the Top 10? Pokemon’s a thing again? In case you haven’t noticed, 2016 is basically the ‘90s. It's time for 2016 to grasp an era full of boy band drama, crop tops and embrace the grungy allure of the ’90s.

Chokers

On a weekend night out you’re bound to see approximately almost every girl wearing a choker. I am even guilty of occasionally wearing one myself. This was a trend that was very prevalent in the mid ‘90s and was made of velvet or ribbon. “Whether it’s a chic/sophisticated look, a high-fashion runway look, a punk-rock concert look – chances are that it’s paired with a choker. The quintessential ‘90s accessory”

'90s

2016

Denim Skirts

Denim skirts is another trend very common among the young female population that can be seen on the average day. The front button down denim skirt is most frequently worn by women. "From light wash to dark wash, distressed to embroidered, denim skirts come in a variety of lengths and shade that will cause you to have major '90s flashback"

'90s

2016

Crop Tops

Crop tops have made a comeback these past few years and let me tell you, everyone loves them. Crop tops can be worn with almost anything from jeans to skirts, shorts and more. Revealing a little bit of stomach never hurt anyone.

'90s

2016:

A Clinton is running for President?

Hillary Clinton is the democratic nominee for the 2016 presidential election. Back in 1992 Bill Clinton was the one running for president, but now the tables have turned. Hillary is seeking to be America's first ever female president which would have a major impact on our society today if she is declared the presidency.

'90s:

2016:

Pokemon

This summer, Pokemon took over. Pokemon (Go) that is. Pokemon wasn’t exactly just a kids game anymore either. It was a full on war between many ages of how many pokemon you could catch, which pokemon you caught, and how powerful your pokemon were. All of this could be done with just an app on your phone. Pokemon Go was free, fun and you didn’t just sit on the couch tapping your thumbs. The game uses your phone's GPS where you’re at within the game itself then pokemon will ‘appear’ and you catch them with pokeballs. In the ‘90s Pokemon was a popular gameboy game, tv show, and a trading card game. These were mostly seen as activities for young children at this time period but was a global phenomena that everyone was aware of.

'90s

2016:

My generation is considered the ‘90s kids. We were born in the ‘90s but have little to no recognition of this time era. Trends of previous eras eventually repeat themselves and are slightly modified to the current generations liking. Right now, 2016 is very much coincidentally a repeat of many events and trends that took place in the 1990s. Fashion and cultural theorist James Laver created an eponymous law, suggesting that economic and social events closely impact the cycle of trends. "According to Laver’s Law, things shift from hot to indecent, to amusing, to beautiful, to hot again, over a decade-long period.” With today's communication and technology at hand, it is shown that trends are becoming shorter and soon we will be remembering last months trends.