Who Run The World?

Who Run The World?

Woman are gaining representation, and it's about time they do.

45

The 2018 mid-term elections brought in a series of history-making votes, marking major accomplishments for women in government. From Native American to Hispanic, to Muslim, to a Somali refugee, women took charge during this mid-term election. About time right?

Here's everything you need to know about these badass women that made history in this year's election.

A record number of women projected to win seats in the House.

As of early this Wednesday morning, CNN projected 96 women would win House races, with 31 women newly elected to the House and 65 female incumbents. Currently, women hold 95 of the 435 seats in the House. Previously, the greatest number was 85.

In Kansas and Michigan, women flipped states that had originally been under Republican control.

Democratic state Senator Laura Kelly defeated Republican Kris Kobach, who Trump had campaigned with last month. Gretchen Whitmer who was a former state senator in Michigan won her race as well. Michigan Democrats selected a woman for every statewide office on Tuesday's ballot.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez won, becoming the youngest woman ever elected to Congress. She's only 29 years old and now holds a seat in the House.

Two Native American women were also elected to Congress. Democrats Sharice Davids and Deb Haaland.

David's win in Kansas against the GOP candidate Kevin Yonder was a win for the Democrats and Haaland will replace the New Mexico Democrat Michelle Lujan Grisham.

Two Muslim women also will become the first in Congress.

Michigan Democrat Rashida Tlaib and Ilhan Omar of the Minnesota Democratic-Farmer-Labor Party. Omar additionally will also be the first Somali-American member after coming to the US two decades ago as a refugee.

First Female Senator from Tennessee.

Marsha Blackburn became the first female senator to represent Tennessee and has held a seat in the house since 2003.

Texas sent it's first Hispanic women to Congress.

Veronica Escobar won her seat to replace Beto O'Rourke in the congressional district near El Paso. State senator Sylvia Garcia won a Houston-area district.

Arizona elected their first female senator, and South Dakota has their first woman governor.

So so many great things happened during this election for women, regardless of your political party and views. Although some other potential amazing things fell short, this is a step in the right direction to more equal representation in our government.