Who Humans Really Are

Who Humans Really Are

Perception of perception shapes reality: though it is reality non-the-less.

9
Who Humans Really Are
Casey Timmins

For a moment, I told my consciousness to embrace reality of the outside world. My perception is often facing inwards. My thoughts are my main focus; my other senses are a blur. Vision is cloudy, noises are hushed to the extent that noise-canceling headphones tune out the world. Smell is irrelevant and its signals are cut off from my conscious that sits in my mind. There is no lull to the inner reflection and existential thoughts. I accept them as my reality. How can I deny what consumes most of my perception to be just as real as the nature detached from my human casket?

Whether it be the trees, chirping birds, flowing rivers, kids at play, cars and trucks rumbling by, silent dark concrete stretching for miles on end, all of them are outside my mind. They exist all the same; there stems no difference based on their manifestation. If it was through gods hands; natural forces whose origins we do not know, or unnatural and synthetic creations through man's various chemical and physical means. All being, biotic or abiotic, is existing outside of my human cell, which itself is serving the purpose to only perceive such nature, it only appears to exists apart from each other. In actuality, everything is connected. Just like how all the senses and organs in my body are connected.

As I stood after my bicycle ride, I gazed outside of my head (my consciousness) to do more than think. It is like being a person who is attached to a video game or phone application looking up only for a brief moment. Different for certain, conceptually the same. I realize that whichever reality we perceive, there is no greater nor lesser reality. Whether you are cognizant to the natural world, a deep thinker, an instant entertainment fiend, a mix of all, something different all together or really feel blank inside and out, you are all living a reality. Don't claim that yours is better, unless it is more evolutionary fit. Even so, that doesn't matter to everyone. The less evolutionary fit do not vanish in a civilization. We should stick to the reality we most naturally perceive.

Another point I'd like to make is even inside our own realities, i.e. our mind or technology, we are still never apart from the rest of the universe. More importantly, we are never apart from our planet Earth. Strewn out before me are thousands of white clover. Honey bees and native pollinators will consume its nectar and earth worms will eat the rest when it is dead. Viewed directly, humans are not eating from this plant, nor any of the others in this landscape before me. Though we are a secondary consumer of clover, we will consume honey from the bee, which would not be there without the clover and other nectar-rich plants. Earth worms feed the soils beneath my feet with this decomposing flesh of clover. They will change the soil chemistry, disease profile of the soil, nutrient content of the soil, and the community demographics of the microbes. All of which effects the macro organisms below ground and within our field of vision. You should get the picture at this point -- "high biodiversity" promotes human prosperity. Well that is the reductionist way to view it.

If we deny the interactions from happening and claim the land to be used for production of immediate human goods, we will be harming ourselves. We are not just ourselves. Feeding only humans is like feeding only the mind. Without the other organs, our mind will fail, consciousness will be discontinued. Even if our consciousness lays our of perception of the "natural world," it does no forget us and neither should we forget it. Land must be left for use or designed for use to feed other organisms who will help feed humans and keep us healthy. Unless you don't care about survival of the human race and would like a lifetime of suffering because of it, we all must change.