My White House Experience

My White House Experience

A year ago, I never imagined I'd be here.

10
My White House Experience
Zanha Armstrong

A little over a month ago, I received an email telling me I was accepted into NewsroomU's White House Press Briefing Multimedia Summit. This meant that on May 5, I was going to take a journey to D.C. and for four days I would be reporting on millennial issues in the area and also how they intertwine with the upcoming election. Out of 80 applicants, only 23 college students and two high school students in the nation were chosen to attend. It was with great excitement I accepted this opportunity and represent my school, the illustrious Morgan State University.

On Thursday, I arrived at the River Inn Hotel in northwest Washington D.C., checked in and proceeded to head to my room. I was eager to meet my roommates and begin bonding. I entered our seventh-floor suite and saw that someone had already arrived. Sierra Boone, a junior at Northwest University in Chicago, was the first person I met and instantly had a connection with. We conversed and I learned that she was also on the electoral board of her school's chapter of the National Association of Black Journalists (NABJ). We discussed our story ideas and planned which places we would go together.

Later that evening, we met up with everyone else from our group. People traveled all the way from the West Coast and Midwest to attend this summit. I was excited to learn from others and to be challenged in ways like never before. Our coordinator, Dr. Cheers, went over what was to be expected and the plans for the next few days. We had dinner and then broke out into sessions with our beat editors to get started on what would be our first stories. Throughout the weekend, each attendee was required to produce at least two stories in some sort of media platform. Some people produced print stories, while others did video, audio, and photography. I can definitely say that everyone was excited to get started.

Friday was the day that was the most anticipated. This would be the day that we visited the White House for a press briefing. We woke up that morning, had breakfast, spent some time working on stories and then prepared to make that trip to Pennsylvania Avenue.

To be able to set foot on the White House grounds was one of the most surreal moments of my life thus far. However, getting there was a journey of its own.

When you first arrive at the entrance, it's almost like airport security-- times ten. Everything is super serious and the security guards themselves don't even crack a smile. You have to verify your identity quite a few times, but all the precautions are understandable.

We entered the Eisenhower Executive Office Building and waited for our escort to take us to our location for the press briefing with White House Press Secretary, Josh Earnest. Once we got to our designated room, I took a seat in the front row and began to prepare my questions. It was an honor to be in the same room as someone that I truly look up to.

Surprisingly, it took me a moment to build up the courage to raise my hand and inquire about student debt. I wanted to make sure I had my statistics and information correct because, as a journalist, you must aim to be as accurate as possible. After finally building up the courage, I raised my hand not knowing if I would even be called on. He looks right at me and points at me, indicating my turn to ask a question. I stood, slightly nervous, and asked "about 69 percent of graduates in 2014 had about 28,000 dollars in student debt, per borrower. What has the Obama administration done to improve this and how will the president advise the next president elect?"

I took my seat with excitement as I listened to his detailed response.

Following the press briefing, we took a photo and headed out towards the West Wing of the White House. We didn't actually get to go inside the White House, which is what I initially expected, but honestly being just a few feet away was enough for me. We were behind those gates that people constantly keep trying to jump over. We were closer than most people get to be in a lifetime.

This entire experience was very surreal for me and one that I will never forget. But most importantly, this weekend inspired me to be a much better journalist.

Thank you NewsroomU, and Dr. Cheers, for granting me with this life-changing opportunity. One that I will never forget.