When Are We Going To Admit That White People Have The Worst Relationship With Law Enforcement

Minding one's own business is a great stress reliever.

545

In March, Stephon Clark was shot dead by police after a neighbor reported vandalism. Clark, who was found not to the vandal, was walking through his own grandmother's backyard when he was shot in the back by police, holding only a cellphone.

In April, two black men waiting to have a business meeting in a Philly Starbucks were arrested after an employee called police on them. In May, a black Yale law student had campus police called on her by a white student after she fell asleep in a chair. Jennifer Schulte, A.K.A BBQ Becky called the police on a black family barbequing in an Oakland park. Alison Ettel, A.K.A Permit Patty pretended to call the police to scare an 8-year-old black girl who was selling water outside of her mother's apartment complex. A 12-year-old boy in Ohio had the police called on him after he accidentally mowed a few inches into a neighbors lawn.

Just recently a Washington priest called the police on a black funeral and threw them out of his church, body-and-all, after someone accidentally knocked over a chalice. Adam Bloom, A.K.A Pool Patrol Peter called the police on Jasmine Edwards and her son at a community swimming pool in her complex after claiming she didn't live there despite her having a key card to use the facility. And a personal favorite, Donisha Prendergast, the granddaughter of the late-great reggae artist, Bob Marley, was swarmed by Southern California police while checking out of an Airbnb after a nosey neighbor reported them for burglary.

What is painfully obvious is that white people have a tendency to call 911 like it's customer service for life's mundane issues. And when I use the phrase "life's mundane issue," I mean the fact that some white people seem to take issue with black people living their lives and minding their own business. Maybe they are depressed, maybe they are suffering the loss of a loved one, maybe they inadvertently talked themselves into a bad mood, but none of these are excuses for plotting to have someone killed.

And please don't think I am being dramatic or jumping the gun. Police have the inclination to shoot first and ask questions never when they are dealing with black people. Ask the family of Stephon Clark, and countless other black men and women slain due to mistaken identity or shaky, trigger-happy police officers. And in the case of Permit Patty, this woman used the fact that she knew little black children were terrified of law enforcement to get an 8-year-old to stop selling her $1 water bottles. Evil.

Now, I'm not particularly a fan of the police, but I would assume that they don't appreciate being called out of their local Dunkin' Donuts every time a Becky feels the need to flex her outdated Android and call 911 on every other black person they see.

But what I want to know is when these police officers are going to start arresting folks for wasting their time and resources? I know these folks must be talking up the situation while on the phone with the 911 operator, because I can't imagine these operators sending out cops for every little thing, especially not when I have personally called the police for a legitimate reason and had them not show up.

Actually, I once called 911 after witnessing a car wreck and no one picked up the phone. No joke, I had to hang up and call back twice before someone picked up. But come to think of it, I'm sure they were just busy comforting some terrified white woman calling about a black man wearing socks at the pool.

"Yes, hello. My name is Becky. There is a black man here violently wielding a lawnmower and destroying my property. He looks suspicious and I am afraid for my safety. Also, Make America Great Again!"

And when these police officers get to the "scene" and realize they are being asked to arrest someone for using gas instead of coal (or whatever) on a grill, I really wonder what is going through their minds.

Nevermind the little old lady getting mugged down the street, BBQ Becky's pressing matter must come first.

Non-emergent line or not, if there are penalties for filing a false police report, why are there no penalties for knowingly lying to 911 operators about the severity of a situation and why are there no laws against calling the police for stupid-ass reasons?