Which One Of Santa's Reindeer Is Your Spirit Animal?

Find out which Reindeer you're most like!

237
Flickr

Since Clement C. Moore wrote his timeless classic, "A Visit From St. Nicholas" on a cold Christmas eve in 1822, families have been gifted with the knowledge of magical reindeer names. My father would read our worn copy of "Twas the Night before Christmas" every Christmas Eve to my sister and I.

I still get a tingly childish excitement when I hear the well-known line, "Twas the night before Christmas when all through the house/ not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse." It piques my inner anticipation for visits with my relatives, gift exchanges, and basking in the magical cozy glow of the holidays.

Christmas songs and stories always place us in a festive and happy mindset. My favorite aspect of Christmas lore has always been the flying reindeer, who work out all year to prepare for the marathon on Christmas Eve night.

Moore tells us their names in his lovely poem, as he recounts overhearing Santa's pep talk for his reindeer team: "Now, Dasher! now, Dancer! now Prancer and Vixen! On, Comet! on Cupid! on, Donner and Blitzen! To the top of the porch!

To the top of the wall! Now dash away! Dash away! Dash away all!" These eight reindeer are later joined by Rudolph, who takes the lead with his glowing nose when blizzards impede Santa's visibility. Each of these reindeer has personalities, which are often overlooked in favor of Rudolph's unique story. However, they are all equally important and equally loved by the North Pole community. This complete list will help you find your inner spirit reindeer!

1. Dasher

Dasher is the oldest reindeer on the team and the leader of the bunch. His position is in the front, on Santa's right. He has a special relationship with Santa and they rely on each other when the stress of Christmas deliveries becomes overwhelming. Dasher is the fastest reindeer, but he is very humble. He makes sure everyone on the team drinks and eats before he does after the presents are delivered. The other reindeer jokingly call him "mom" because he is very caring.

Your spirit reindeer is Dasher if you are the one your friends depend on for guidance and comfort.

2. Dancer

Dancer is Dasher's pair partner. She is at the front, on Santa's left. She takes herself very seriously and is the most meticulous reindeer. Dancer is Dasher's lieutenant, and she often acts as the communication bridge between the team and Dasher. She notices what Dasher doesn't, and discreetly alerts him if he missed a house on the path, or if he made a mistake in route-planning. Dancer is, of course, a fabulous dancer, but she is very shy about showcasing her talent. Dasher is currently trying to encourage her to take ballet classes.

Your spirit reindeer is Dancer if you are detail-oriented, a good communicator, and a perceptive friend.

3. Prancer

Prancer is the jokester. He is directly behind Dasher, on Santa's right. He doesn't take himself too seriously and is often the comic relief when tensions arise. He can make anyone laugh at any time. Prancer's team depends on him for boosting morale when they encounter setbacks. The high-stakes, fast-paced environment doesn't ruffle his suave and silly exterior. However, Prancer often disregards his own negative feelings to alleviate the emotional burden of the team. Santa is the only one who can detect when Prancer needs some emotional support himself.

Your spirit reindeer is Prancer if you have a quick wit and the ability to make your friends laugh at anything.

4. Vixen

Vixen is the glam girl. She is Prancer's pair partner, directly behind Dancer. She spends a lot of time grooming herself and gives the other reindeer tips on fur and hoof upkeep. Don't mistake Vixen's passion in her appearance for vanity; she just wants herself and her team to look their best. She brings out the beauty in others, and they love her for it.

Your spirit reindeer is Vixen if you are a generous friend who loves helping everyone look and feel their best.

5. Comet

Comet is the second fastest reindeer in Santa's team. He is behind Prancer, to Santa's right. He is the daredevil, the reindeer that's always down for whatever. His team can't remember the last time he ignored a challenge or said "truth" during truth or dare. His friends can always count on him for adventure and just being around him is thrilling. Comet inspires his friends to face their fears and grow stronger.

Your spirit reindeer is Comet if you encourage your friends to go outside their comfort zone and bring energy and excitement to any gathering.

6. Cupid

Cupid is Comet's pair partner. He is the romantic. His position is directly behind Vixen, on Santa's left. He is extremely sensitive and very empathetic. Cupid can tell when his teammates are feeling blue before they realize it themselves. He's a sweetheart and avoids conflict as much as possible. While she would never admit it, Cupid is Mrs. Claus's favorite reindeer. His sweet demeanor and his gentle words solidify Cupid as a North Pole favorite.

Your spirit reindeer is Cupid if your friends depend on you for emotional advice and comfort.

7. Donner

Donner is the brain of the team. He is behind Comet, directly in front of Santa. He helps Santa plan the fastest routes. Donner loves going to the North Pole library, and he's written several books about the physics of flying reindeer. He also has a bachelor's degree in Engineering with a concentration in aeronautics from MIT. Donner explains to his team how to fly the path of least wind resistance, and when the other reindeer don't understand topics like international politics or North Pole economics, he teaches them using terms they'll understand. Donner doesn't patronize his team, and he helps them grow smarter.

Your spirit reindeer is Donner if you are the brain of your friend group, and if they rely on you for help with schoolwork.

8. Blitzen

Blitzen is the wildcard. He's Donner's pair partner, right in front of Santa's sleigh. He keeps the whole team entertained: sometimes he's just plain crazy. No one ever knows what he's doing or why he's doing it, but when he's finished with his task, they admire his creativity and innovative spirit. He's artistic, musical, quirky, and has the most obscure talents. He can be as clever as Donner and as hilarious as Prancer, but his big heart always draws him towards whatever is new, bizarre, and interesting.

Your spirit reindeer is Blitzen if you are the one who always introduces your friends to new artists and new shows, and if they're consistently confused by your actions.

9. Rudolph

Rudolph trains just as hard as the rest of the team and often accompanies them on their worldwide marathons. His position, when he is not on tour, is in front of the entire team. He works closely with Dasher to learn how to best lead the team when the weather is unfit for travel without illumination. Rudolph spends a lot of time traveling the world, helping lost ships, planes, trains, and cars when they lose their way in the fog. He always has book tours and speaks at many universities, about bullying, leadership, and forgiveness. Rudolph and his publicist are constantly bombarded with requests for speeches, guest appearances, and talk shows. Rudolph, despite being a global celebrity, remains humble and works hard to teach the world to be kind to outcasts. He is close to the original team, and they have always loved him.

Your spirit reindeer is Rudolph if you have ever felt completely alone, and if your big heart has gained you the respect and love of many; you have lots of friends, and despite your past suffering, you blame no one and treat everyone with respect.

Which reindeer do you most relate to? Are you a brainiac like Donner, or a diva like Vixen? Santa loves them all!