Which iPhone 7 Complaints Are Actually True?

With every new product, there are bound to be some complaints.

4
Apple

Last week I received my iPhone 7 Plus after lots of anticipation. Don't judge me, but I was one of those people who stayed up until 3 AM to preorder the phone just so I could get the color I wanted. However, it ended up being worth it because Apple still hasn't quite figured out how many iPhones they should make. As a result, the iPhone 7 Plus was completely sold out online, and the iPhone 7 was sold out in certain colors. So many people were excited about this phone that some people aren't going to be able to get their hands on an iPhone 7 Plus until November. However, with all of the excitement of releasing a new phone, there is bound to be people always finding something wrong with the phone. Sometimes those claims are true, sometimes they aren't. Well, after having my iPhone 7 Plus for a week, I decided to share which claims were true and which were false.

1. The home "button" doesn't work unless it makes contact with skin.

Now I'm going to be honest, I didn't even know about this "problem" until I researched the complaints people were having because I didn't normally unlock my phone with something other than my finger. Remember, before iOS 10 you couldn't unlock your phone this way either because you had to slide the screen. However, I have come to the conclusion that this is indeed true. If you weren't aware, Apple did more than just get rid of the headphone jack (which we'll be talking about later), but they also decided to create a new home "button." In fact, it's not even a button at all. Instead when you press the home button, it is Touch ID that is recognizing that someone has hit the button. As a result, say goodbye to unlocking your phone with gloves on in the winter because you have to use your finger or another capacitative surface.

2. The camera lens is easy to scratch.

I'm going to have to deem this complaint as false. Unless you are intentionally trying to scratch the camera or you aren't putting a case on your phone, this isn't a problem at all. The new cameras on the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus are raised from the phone, which could lead to some people saying it is easier to scratch than the previous models. That statement is true, but that doesn't mean that it actually easy to scratch. I have dropped my phone twice in the past week and the camera was the first thought I had, but I have not noticed any kind of scratching or damages on the lens.

3. The remote on the lightening Ear Pods doesn't always work.

I have been using the new headphones the entire week I've had my phone (3.5 mm headphone jack who?) and I love them. I've noticed the audio is clearer and louder. However, just today I came across the problem of the remote not working on my headphones, so this complaint is true. However, this really isn't a huge problem, because you can always use the volume buttons on your phone. In no way does the remote on the new headphones affect the iPhone's performance, so it is definitely something that I am willing to look past.

4. If you use the phone too much it will produce a hissing sound.

This is another claim that I'm going to say is true and false. I say that this claim is both because I have heard and experienced mixed comments. I use my iPhone 7 Plus all the time. I'm constantly talking, texting, watching YouTube videos, listening to music or podcasts, etc. and I have never heard any kind of hissing sound coming from my phone. However, some people have posted videos of their phones making the noise and say that it starts happening after they have been talking on the phone for a long period of time. Basically, it depends on your actual phone, because I'm fairly certain that this is not a universal problem happening with all iPhone 7 and 7 Plus models.

5. You can't charge your phone and use headphones at the same time.

This complaint is definitely true, but there are solutions. Belkin has created an adapter that lets you plug in your headphones and charger, but it's slightly on the pricier side as it retails for about $40. Also, you can only preorder the adapter as of now.

However, there are cheaper options, but most of the ones that I've found have decided to opt out of using the lightening Ear Pods and returning to the 3.5 mm Ear Pods.

Those are some of the complaints I've seen scattered around the internet about the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus. Some of the claims have been proven true, false, and some are just based on preference or your phone specifically. With every new product, there are bound to be complaints made with the tiniest of problems people run in to. I'm loving my new iPhone 7 Plus, and I definitely do not regret staying up until 3 AM to ensure that I got it!