Where Will The First Summer Home Take You?

A promise to yourself

4
HannahRobison

The stress of finals is finally over. You've packed up the life you started nine months ago and moved back to life you had for your first 18 years of life. Leaving behind the many friendships that had just started, the dorm you lived in that felt like home and all the wonderful memories that made the first year of college, one for the books. If you're anything like me, you were the first of your hometown friends to return home but the idea of the mammoth amount of potential this summer has is just taking over all your thoughts. Where will the summer take you? Will everybody still be the same person you saw over Christmas break or will they have grown? Will that high school crush become a summer fling? Only time will tell...

You have been home for a week and your mother has been riding you about finding a job so you can have a large chunk of change to take back to school in August instead of relying on that credit card she gave you in case of "emergencies." A.K.A. the dinning hall food just isn't cutting it so you're going to take a trip to McDonalds. You've been living the life, waking up when you want and gracefully placing yourself in front of that new series you started on Netflix while eating all the food in the house. However, the real world is about to hit you right in the face. You're preparing for those first interviews at that local boutique, new restaurant and the local grocery store. As you walk into the first one, you're secretly cursing your mother out and asking yourself, why do I HAVE to get a job!? or Is there a job that pays you to watch Netflix?

Week two is slowly coming to an end and your getting ready for that first day of your new job at that wonderful boutique. Then you start to think, holy shit! I've already been on summer break for two weeks and all I've done is sit on the couch and finish those 8 seasons of House M.D. After that thought, panic sets in, summer is going to go by so fast I don't want time to get away from me, I need to start to be productive.

Week three is in full swing. Your getting the hang of how the new job works and your mother has finally laid off. Your friends are slowing starting to trickle back into their lovely abodes but your starting to get college sick. You miss all your friends, those late night jam sessions and snack runs, and secretly the late night cramming. You're excited for summer but can't wait to get back to the college life you had just started.

Now here's the real question, when will the summer fun begin? and what exciting adventures will it take you on?

I am just as clueless as the rest of you are. We all just finished that exciting first year and want the summer to be one to remember. I don't know about you guys, but I don't have a crystal ball that will tell me how summer will end, but I know one thing for sure...it's going to be spectacular. Don't plan every detail of your summer and don't wish to change it, just promise your self a few things: have fun in the sun, lay under the stars with your best friends, find the summer romance that you've dreamed about since you first saw The Last Song, reconnect with old friends, spend time with family, go to as many summer cookouts, bonfires, beach volleyball games, graduation parties, sleepovers and vacations as you can, in the next three months. Most importantly, never regret anything because at one time it was exactly what you wanted.