Before You Sleep Review

Escape Maybe The Scariest Option

Curiosity can quickly turn to terror.

186
Escape Maybe The Scariest Option

Screenshot by Andrew R. McKinley

Where Angels Come In, part of the Before You Sleep story collection by Adam Nevill completely strikes you as a 'situation' based plot. An in your face supernatural Horror that leaves you wondering what the heck was happening. Lots of things go missing in the town, pets, kids, objects. The constant curiosity is lingering as to what is in the large White House on the hill and what it once was, or even is. Three young children make their way to the front gate. Two are drawn in, Pickering and the main character, overwhelmed with curiosity. But, curiosity quickly turns to terror as once they are on the first terrace, a ghoulishly pale and tattered cloth covered figure appears on the floor below them. Panic sets in as more of these strange creatures appear. Hiding, they make a choice to run for it. They run up to the next terrace as the creatures begin pursuit. Hearts pounding the make for the stairs at the end of the hallway and to a potential escape. More and more of the strange figures are revealing themselves out of every passing room. One is that of a little girl who begs them to hide in her room. Pickering kept running and descended the stairs while our main character ducked into the room. He could hear the horde of ghostly creatures pass by the room as the ghoulish little girl shows off her dolls. One can't help but think these so-called dolls, and stuffed animals may, in fact, be the decayed remains of the missing children and animals, though this isn't exactly confirmed by any means. One of the before seen ghost-like entities bursts into the room. The little ghost girl disappears. But before our main character could be discovered a shriek is heard off in the distance. Likely Pickering who has been caught. The creature runs out of the room as an open window is seen. Our main character makes a break for the window and works to pry it open further to escape, narrowly doing so as he is grabbed by a ghoulishly pale hand. Just barely breaking free and running away from the house.

This story is rich with something useful, but of what I am not sure yet. I feel I would have to read it a few more times to really understand all of it and pick up on any subtle hints that maybe presented throughout. The story happens very quickly, it is only three pages long, and you are just thrown into it. WHAM. BAM. You're there, and the story just goes. I feel there is some subtext to this tale, but it is extremely subtle. This adds to the mystery and intrigue of the overall plot. What's happening? What is all this? Who are these creatures like things? The story leaves you with more questions than answers.

Goodreads' fans give this story a 4 out of 5 stars; while Amazon also gives this story a 4 out of 5 stars. I myself would lean toward a 3.5 out of 5 stars. I still would recommend it as a pretty decent, quick, read that will leave you on edge with more questions.