When You're The Last One To Leave For College

Get ready to go through life without your besties by your side.

116
Chloe McElmury

If you're like me, you start college this year insanely late. Unfortunately, my hometown friends do not and they all will be leaving WAY before I do. While I'm thankful for a summer spent with them after a year at school apart, I can't help but begin to feel the feels as I say goodbye to them. While I'm a little bit used to this, because it happened last year, I'm still not used to it and life won't be the same without my best friends by my side. All us late-starters can all be here to support each other, as we go through all of the emotions of being the last of your friends to go to college.

The tears you shed as you say goodbye...

When your friends leave first and everyone says their goodbyes, you might cry. You might all bawl or maybe let one tear roll down your cheek very dramatically. You wish you could be leaving at the same time, even if it means cutting your summer a little short.

Then the inevitable feeling of loneliness.

When your friends leave you behind, there's a loneliness that comes along, too. You won't have your girls for date night at the movies. Your guys will be gone for pizza night. You almost forget that you even have friends because they're not there.

The go-getter attitude and motivation that strikes!

With your friends gone, you might get some newfound motivation to do the things you never accomplished during the summer. Need a job for the last few weeks of freedom? Done! Never hit the gym? So what, but now that you're alone, you're ready to get some sh*t done! No more excuses. Don't forget to call your friends and brag, they'll be proud of you!

You make some dumb independent decisions...

Without your friends to tell you "no" against your "better" judgment, you might do some pretty stupid things. Try to avoid all ex-boyfriends and girlfriends during this time. Don't make any rash decisions without consulting your squad on Snapchat. Do not drink alone.

And maybe have a meltdown or two...

Much like a breakup, you might think you're doing fine, but you have one of those days where nothing goes right. You might have been doing alright for yourself, but then you remember those initial feelings and fears of loneliness. You might feel some distance from your friends, as they re-adjust to college life and their other friends. Take time for a five-minute meltdown, buttercup.

But, pull yourself together and remember these feelings won't last forever...

Fingers crossed, you and your recently departed friends will see each other again soon! Count down the days to Thanksgiving or Christmas break when you can all finally be together again.

Because a true friend will make time for you and never forget you...

No matter how long you might stay apart for. Best friends will never give up on seeing you or keeping in touch. Whether it's dedicated texts every second of every day or a weekly life update or even less than that, true friends will want you and keep you in their life. When you reunite, it'll be like no time has passed at all.