When You're The Annoying Neighbor

When You're The Annoying Neighbor

But was the noise complaint really necessary?

29
When You're The Annoying Neighbor

Signing the lease for my living arrangements, I was concerned about the people I'd be living with. No, not my roommates – they were great – my neighbors.

I'd never lived in a building with more than just my immediate family, and honestly, I had no idea what to expect. I mean, I'd heard this horror story about a friend of a friend whose friend had a neighbor who chased her with a knife, and that was understandably terrifying.

I figured (hoped) that might be at least a little unrealistic, but the noise issue was a true threat. With my luck, I just knew I would end up having the most annoying of neighbors.

However, as time has passed, I've started to notice I might just be that annoying neighbor I feared. Maybe you've noticed you are, too.

There were some hints along the way that I would be bothersome to others. For starters, my building doesn't exactly have the thickest of walls. I'm not saying they're as thin as a Victoria's Secret model, but you can definitely hear what's going on around you. Furthermore, you could say I'm naturally on the louder side.

However, my loudness is not nearly as flattering a reality as the picture above makes it seem. It's actually quite obnoxious. My normal speaking voice sounds like I'm publicly speaking to a giant crowd, and my microphone isn't working so I have to project. I scream, literally, every time I'm excited about something and, of course, when I'm terrified. And forget singing in the shower – it's more like blaring out a full blown concert or musical.

What's even louder than my voice? My movements. I don't exactly move like a gazelle -- my steps produce a noise that resembles something like an elephant stampede. And of course, I have to turn the speakers on full volume, so I can fully enjoy my Spotify playlist.

Yes, I wondered if I were being a little noisy, but then some reality checks followed suit, confirming those suspicions I tried to drown.

Reality check #1: The filed complaint.

It's always a good sign when your housing complex contacts you, informing you people have filed noise complaints against you.

Reality check #2: The anonymous complaint.

For me, this was a note in the door. Evidently, I "stomp around" (I really don't mean to, I promise) at "unreasonable hours." But I was under the impression every hour was reasonable in college.

Reality check #3: The direct complaint.

This is when your neighbor comes to the door, looking a little disheveled because she's been awakened from a nap, and comes to tell you you're to blame. It's incredibly awkward.

I guess it's official: I'm the annoying neighbor. To all the people who share a living complex with me: I'm sorry.