When You're A Real-Life Jessica Day

When You're A Real-Life Jessica Day

It's not easy being Jess in a world full of Nick Millers, but here's the thing: even people as cynical as Nick grow to love the weird.

534
When You're A Real-Life Jessica Day

I started watching "New Girl" several seasons ago, when someone made the interesting comment that I reminded them of Zooey Deschanel's character, Jessica Day. I felt an immediate connection with the girl's quirky persona, since they portrayed her awkwardness as something fun and lovable.

Recently, I read an article that bashed the existence of the Jessica Days of the world. I sat there, silently fuming from the article's words, and wondering why this author claimed that a real-life Jess wouldn't be quirky and cute, but rather annoying and fake.

I've compiled a list in support of the zany, sometimes awkward, but still really fun girls in the world. When you are "New Girl" in the real world, here are some things you tend to do, no matter how hard you may try not to.

Once we start acting weird, it's pretty difficult to stop acting weird. I promise you, I am trying to the best of my ability to put a cork in the weirdness that seems to be pouring out of my body, but there is simply no stopping it. It's pretty much a disease.

We make awkward hand motions a lot and people like to call us out on it. Pretty sure this one may be a disease, as well. My hands have a deep connection with my thought process, and they like to do their own thing while my words flow. Sure, I've poked myself, (and probably others), in the eye before because of this, but calling me out on it won't suddenly weigh my hands down.

We sometimes have a hard time being discreet about things. This GIF honestly is no exaggeration, because I've done things like this before. I can't explain to you what compels me to quietly mutter "hubba hubba" to my friends when a cute guy walks past, but I can tell you that it is very likely to occur.

We aren't very good at being mean. I could be super angry, but the second something even remotely hurtful escapes my mouth, I want to take it back. Being mean to people is practically against our nature, so expressing these thoughts can actually be quite confusing to our internal monologues.

We tend to sing out our life experiences. If my life could have been "High School Musical", then it would have been. I have a peculiar habit of making theme songs about my daily tasks. As I type this, I have a quiet song about writing for The Odyssey playing in my head. It's uncontrollable, really.

We use facial expressions to communicate more than we use words. My friends hate it when I make this face, but my expressions tell all, (even when I don't want them to). The looks my eyes give off are about as transparent as a window.

We live generally optimistic lives, but sometimes reality hits us hard. We may seem pixie-like most of the time, but it's a harsh world out there, and that negativity is bound to seep in at some point. When it does, we rely on our friends to help pull us up. Carefree can only last so long, and we can't go it alone.

Overall, we like who we are and it's okay if other people don't. Chances are, we got to be the way we are by not caring what others think of us. I like to think that I'm a pretty likable gal, and it may hurt when I realize I'm not someone's cup of tea, but it doesn't mean I want to change who I am.

I am a real-life Jessica Day, and I'm here to say that we do exist... and that we rock.