That Moment When Your Best Friends Meet

That Moment When Your Best Friends Meet

My college best friend and home town best friend finally got to hang out together and this is how my two worlds collided

11
That Moment When Your Best Friends Meet
Raphael Ofendo Reyes

During this past weekend, my two closest best friends got to hang out with me. Although they have met before for a short time, this time we were all together for the weekend. Which is a good thing, since we'll all be living together soon.

I met my best friend from home almost six years ago during marching band camp my sophomore year, her eighth-grade year. We clicked together instantly and for the rest of my high school time, spent every weekend together. We've laughed and cried together. Overcame boy problems, loss of friends, and overwhelming school. We helped each other grow into the people we are today. When I left for college, I never thought I would find another best friend like her.

I met my college best friend by accident. We were both nervous waiting before class started, since we had changed buildings mid-fall semester of freshman year. We started chatting and began making plans to hang out. Once Halloween rolled around we hung out for the holiday and I knew I'd found someone great. Since then, we've made sure to spend time together at least once a week even with how hectic our college lives were. We always checked in on each other, cried together on the Horseshoe after finals, and laughed everywhere we went on campus.

Going into college, I was really worried about making real friends. My first semester showed me that not many people were interested in real or lasting friendships. They were interested in who would go downtown with them and I didn't know these girls well enough to do anything like that. I was looking for brunch and going to games together, not holding their hair back or watching them because they couldn't take care of themselves. There was a clear line of girls who partied and girls who shamed. I was neither, I wanted to have fun, but not be a shut-in.

It wasn't like I was looking to replace anyone, but to make more friends as I grow up and into this "adult". Well, I'm trying to be an adult at least. I wasn't necessarily worried about the two meeting, since we're all basically the same person. But I was anxious for us all to hang out. I wanted them to get to know each other so we could all hang out. My home town best friend will be coming to USC next year (along with my younger sister).

Finding good friends is so important in college, surrounding yourself with positive people help your outlook. I'm a first generation college student so I need to be focused on my studies more than partying. (But I do know how to have fun). Being with people who want to move forward in life helps keep you on the right path. My friends really help me out with this. When I got really depressed during college, both best friends helped me. I wanted to get better, and with some support (a lot), I got back on track.

Thankfully, the group gets along really well. We had the best time this past weekend, eating and beaching. We've found our people and are so excited about next year. We've made good memories and have even more to come. And who knows, maybe our little group will keep expanding. Can't wait for pizza on Fridays, game days on Saturday, and sleeping in on Sunday with both of my best friends and my sister. I think we have the roommate situation pretty good this year.