When You Need To Change a Mind

When You Need To Change a Mind

Maybe, before trying to prove to God that your way/will is right, you should consider changing your own mind.

19
When You Need To Change a Mind

If you know me even remotely well, you probably know what my reaction to the response of "no" when I really want something or have really worked toward something is. A couple of things I've worked toward and asked for in the last few months have not worked out in the slightest. Despite the prayers and work that I've put in toward these things, they just weren't happening. God wasn't letting them happen, and, believe me, I've prayed about them a lot. So I needed to change His mind. I asked a few people if you could even change God's mind in the first place.

After all, I didn't want to be trying to do something that wasn't going to work out in the first place. The answers varied from "no," to "probably," to "no one really knows," to "yes." These varied responses weren't extremely helpful to me because I really wanted the answer to be "yes"...because that would have been very convenient for me. Every Sunday at church, we say The Lord's Prayer, which says, "Thy kingdom come, thy will be done, on Earth as it is in Heaven."

I feel like if I'm saying "Thy will be done," then I need my own will to be undone because I don't know if both wills line up and, well, how dare I even think my own will should be followed when God's will is right in front of me, playing out in whatever way it might?

I've been working on changing my prayers lately. It is not something that is easy to do at all, but it is something that should at least be attempted. I can, of course, at least try. It's the very least I can do, because I have certainly tried everything else.

Maybe we shouldn't be wondering if we can change God's mind. Maybe we should work on changing your own.