When You Give A Girl A Dog

When You Give A Girl A Dog

“What a beautiful world it would be if people had hearts like dogs.”
35

Dogs; mostly everybody loves them... if you don't I don't understand how. They are fluffy and cute and so loving and sweet. And ooooooh the puppy breath. But here’s the things… dogs are much more than just that. They’re a companion. Dogs are one of the most honest and purest of hearts. They love unconditionally and you’ll never know a greater more innocent love than a dog’s.

Dogs learn to be your best friend and companion the minute that you bring them home. They find that there is a certain bond between it and its owner and there is a love that cannot be replaced. You would do anything for this puppy and I promise it would do anything for you. But while puppies are still loving they’re also still learning… so when they pee in the floor or they chew up your favorite pair of shoes just be patient; they’re still learning the difference in right and wrong.

See, to us they’re dogs, we have other things going on in our lives. But to them, we’re all they have. So anytime we leave, they tend to get nervous and they chew up stuff and destroy your house, but they do it because they're either scared or bored, and because of that they get lonely. They simply just wait on you to come home because their whole life revolves around you. But when you're there, they are right beside you and they never leave your side because they're just that loyal.

Dogs can sense any sort of emotion you have. They pick up on body language and they can literally sense the type of emotions you are having. If a dog can sense that you are scared or that you are nervous, the dog becomes on high alert, and they stop at nothing to protect you. When you're sad, they tend to comfort you because they know that's what you need. And when you're happy then they are happy and all is well in the world.

To me, my Bella girl is my best friend. She was a stray puppy that my best friend saved. I took her in and the rest is history. She knows all of my secrets and she knows when to comfort me when I am sad. There have been multiple times I have held her and cried and she didn’t move, because she knew that was what I was needing was her comfort. There’s also many times she doesn’t want to be held or touched because she’s a strong independent girl, but when you need her she knows it and she allows it. We play and she loves all of her squeaky toys and to have her tummy rubbed. Ever since she was a puppy we would lay in bed at bedtime and watch Friends together (Joey is her favorite btw). So now every night we put on Friends and we go to sleep, right after I hold her for a little while and say my prayers.

(Yes, she actually sleeps like this, no lie lololololol)

She's super weird sometimes about how her toys are and what specific toys she'll play with. She drives me insane with her obsession of picking through her dog food and only getting the pieces she wants, leaving the others on the floor and they HURT when you step on them. She is obsessed with ice, anytime Dad has some in his cup and it rattles he has to give her some. She loves to play in the water and retrieve but when she's done, she's done. She hates pictures which is so bad for her because I take millions.

See, I have always been pretty tough on Bella, not because I didn't like her or because I wanted her to be scared of me; simply just because I really wanted her to listen to me and know I mean what I say. Many times I have scolded her, many times I have spanked her, but you know what... she still welcomes me with a wagging tail. And that means more to me than anything. I know she loves me. Dogs literally have so much love for people it's incredible even when they're getting scolded. That's all they know is happiness. That's what I mean by dogs are the most honest and purest of hearts. They always forgive and always love... even if in your mind you don't deserve it. There so pure and innocent, I don't understand how anybody could not be a dog person.

I dread the day when I don’t have my Bella girl anymore, so I just don’t think about it. One day I know my only regret will be that I’m not always with her, and she might not understand that I go to school and go to work, but she understands that I love her… hopefully. I wish that everybody in the world could allow themselves to feel the love of a dog. It’s one of the greatest bonds anybody could ever have. Because I was given a dog, I was given a best friend for the amount of time that I have her with me. She has such a funny personality and she makes me laugh and most of the things that she does. So when you give a girl a dog, know that her life is pretty much going to change for the better and that no matter what... she has a best friend to grow up with.

P.S. This whole article was inspired by my readings of A Dog’s Purpose. Don’t read it unless you want to cry. That and it’ll just make you love your dog more and more and become twice as attached and completely rip your heart into a million pieces.

P.S.S. read it anyways.