Things You Hear When You Tell People You Don't Want Kids

8 Things You Are Bound To Hear When You Say You Don't Want Kids

Some people just want to be the cool aunt.

329
StockSnap

Everyone has an opinion about kids. Some people love them, others hate them. Some want lots of kids while others--like me--want none. If you are like me, you have probably heard a lot of people's thoughts about it.

For some reason, some people have some pretty strong opinions about not starting a family. Most of the time I have heard them from my mom because she really wants grandkids but there were some instances where my old manager and even complete strangers argued with my reasoning for not wanting kids (because you HAVE to have a reason).

Here are a few protests you might encounter if you tell people you don't want a family:

1."You'll change your mind"

Yeah, possibly. But for right now I don't want a family, and if convincing yourself that I will come to my senses later down the road makes you feel better than so be it.

2. "You'll get baby fever when all of your friends start having kids"

I'm immune, thanks.

3. "You're too pretty/nice/loving to NOT have kids"

Just because you don't want to be a mother doesn't mean you can't spread your ~positive influence~ on other people. Mentors still exist.

4. "You're too young to know what you truly want"

Not only is that super demeaning, but also untrue. Young people are expected to make huge life decisions before they even leave high school.

5. "Who will take care of you when you get older?"

If I'm lucky, my loving friends, siblings, spouse. Or, better yet, myself.

6. "Never is a long time"

Yes, this is accurate information. But in the great words of John Mulaney, "just because you're accurate doesn't mean you're interesting."

7. "Don't you want someone who looks like a combination of you and your partner?"

Again, no. And if that is the sole reason you want to have kids, you might want to re-evaluate.

8. "But I want to be a grandparent"

I hear this from my mom all the time (love you, mom!). I always tell her that my siblings can still make this happen. And if you are an only child, you can remind her that your sole purpose on this earth isn't necessarily to reproduce if that is what you decide. The world is so large and will remain fulfilling even if you don't have kids.