quotes about positivity

10 Quotes To Think About When The Universe Seems Like It's Against You

Finals are upon us and winter is coming, but that doesn't need to mean that you let the melancholy consume you.

266

We all have those days when we just don't want to get out of bed. You don't want to go to class or do homework or do your laundry, but alas, those things are our responsibilities and they don't go away because we stay in bed (yay adulting!). Here are 10 quotes to help you out of a slump.

1. "Don't listen to them, they act like they own the world."

queen

Don't let what other people say or do affect you. People love to stunt as the world revolves around them, but it doesn't actually, regardless of what social media will have you think. Live your life the way that is right for you and don't let anyone make you feel bad about doing what is right for you.

2. “Surround yourself with people who see your value and remind you of it.”

DOGGOS

This one's pretty self-explanatory, but the importance cannot be stressed enough. Someone once told me you are the average of the five people you spend the most time with. If that is true, make sure you are spending time around good influences, but also, and maybe most importantly, make sure those five people respect and appreciate you and everything you have to offer.

3. “When you start doubting yourself, remember everything you've faced, all the battles you've won, and all of the fears you've overcome.”

big mountain boo

It is easy to forget to cut yourself a break. In the mindset of a constant grind we get caught up in meeting our goals so much that we sometimes forget to turn around and remember where we started. Acknowledge the work you've done to get to where you are and realize that being perfect is not an reasonable expectation for yourself.

4. “One of the best lessons you can learn in life is to master how to remain calm.”

serenity

There is always going to be drama. It doesn't go away just because high school is over. The only difference is how you let it affect you. Remember to stay above the turmoil and focus on what is really important. Nothing is more important than your peace of mind.

5. “Keep your face always toward the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you.”

The thing about a bad mood is that it can become all-consuming very quickly. It is unbelievably easy to fall into a cycle of negative thoughts and actions if you aren't very careful. However, if you make a conscious effort every day to think positively and focus on creating a beautiful future, you can avoid falling into said rut.

6. “Day by day, what you do is who you become.”

Repeat

If you don't like where you are in your life do something about it. You don't get different results by doing the same thing you've always done. Making a small change in a daily routine can be the start to creating the life you have always wanted.

7. “Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being excited about what could go right.”

friends

Fear is debilitating. It stops progress before it can start. Also, it is temporary and useless. the quicker you take the plunge to do what you've always wanted to do the less time you give your fears to convince you that its not possible. So be like Nike and just do it!

8. “Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.”

progress

You effectively learn nothing from staying within the bounds of what you have always known. When you step out of your comfort zone, you learn about the world and about yourself. One of the most important skills in life is adaptability and staying safely among those things that you already know does nothing to help advance that skill.

9. “Not all storms come to disrupt your life. Some come to clear your path.”

I'm a strong believer that everything happens for a reason. The good, the bad, the downright awful all shape you into the person you are meant to be. So try to remember that even the darkness will pass and it will leave you with everything you need to proceed into the next challenge of your life with confidence.

10. “Fighters are made, not born.”

boxing

Shoutout to Abhi G, this is his favorite quote. It's easy to look at the people around you and think "wow, they are so strong." The thing to remember is that everyone is born with that strength but only some people have the drive to persist past their circumstances and endure.

All of the things that these quotes teach remind us that despite the fact that the world may seem gloomy, there is always some silver lining. You have the opportunity to take control of your life. You get to decide whether to try or give up and the correct decision is always to try. Persistence and practice and stamina and support, these are the only things you need in order to create the life you wish to live.