When The Going Gets Tough

When The Going Gets Tough

Also known as: When The Semester Starts

47
When The Going Gets Tough
QuotesGram

For many of us folks, school either just resumed after summer vacation or it's been underway for a couple of weeks already. It just started, but it already feels like it should be spring break! The school year can be quite stressful. This applies across the board: from those in middle school to those in graduate school and all those students who fall in between. There's pressure coming from all sides: from the expectations of others (parents, family members, peers, etc.), from knowing that your grades can decide what you do for the rest of your life and even from your own thoughts and the goals you want to accomplish.

Sometimes a little stress doesn't hurt us, but we won't notice when it is hurting us until it's too late. The best thing to do when the school year starts is to plan for everything, including stress and stressful situations. As Oscar Wilde said, "To expect the unexpected shows a thoroughly modern intellect." Unexpected situations happen all the time and there are times when we won't be prepared to handle them despite how much we've planned. What makes or breaks the situation is how we conduct ourselves and our attitudes in said situations.

There are few of us students that do not have responsibilities outside of the classroom. The list of things that we have to do is endless: extracurriculars, working a part-time or full-time job, going to tutoring sessions, volunteering, going to the gym, researching in a lab, living, breathing, sleeping (or trying to), etc... This isn't to say that it's impossible to do all these things, be stress-free and be successful at all of the above at the same time. On the contrary, some of the most successful people became pros at being multi-faceted individuals by dividing their time between obligations and doing them all really well. This shows that it is definitely possible! You and I know this, but how do we do it without being stressed all the time? That's the million-dollar question.

Here's how I manage to stay relatively stress free during the school year:

1. Plan everything and plan ahead.

The worse thing that can happen to a student is forgetting about an assignment. That may be a quiz, a paper, a lab report or even a mock presentation that you may not even be graded on. This is because you'll get a failing grade, be unprepared and/or disappointed in yourself all because you don't have a perfect memory. I'll let you in on a little secret: if you're dividing your time between multiple obligations it is never the best idea to just rely on your memory alone. To avoid the stress that forgetting important dates causes, invest in a planner, use the calendar on your smartphone, download a digital planner or just make a to-do list where you can't miss it. Because last-minute essays and labs reports are not fun.

2. Try not to over-extend yourself.

I know we all have the potential to do great things; your goal is not only to do those things, but to do them well. Know your limits and know when to test those limits and when to stay within those limits. When you make your work schedule, keep in mind that classes and studying come first and that you also have club events and other responsibilities. Don't pack every hour in your schedule because, trust me, you will regret it. Take it from someone who's experienced what it's like to not even have 10 minutes to breathe, let alone think or even eat: it is not fun or healthy. Know yourself, know your body, know what's important to you and plan accordingly.

3. Know what calms you.

We're all different people; what works to calm me down may not work for you. Hard work is great, and constant hard work teaches us endurance. However, constant hard work without time to replenish your energy will drain you over time. Before midterms come around, be sure to stay focused and on schedule with class material so that you don't become unnecessarily stressed when it's time for midterms. If you do find yourself stressed or under too much pressure, know when to take a break and know when to prioritize. Study experts most often encourage students to take time out of studying to do something they find fun or calming. In between studying, working, mentoring and all that you have planned for the semester, take some time to: listen to music/a podcast, read a book, spend some time with friends, catch up on sleep or just watch a documentary/movie.

4. Find someone to talk to.

Talking can be very cathartic and eye-opening when you talk to the right people. Some people talk too much and others just don't talk enough. That's a fact. The thing is, when you're so stressed you feel like you're about to explode but you still keep it inside, it doesn't help anyone. Talk to someone: a friend, your mom/dad, a sibling, a significant other, anyone you feel comfortable with. You don't have to tell them your deepest darkest secrets, but just talk about anything. Sometimes when you're worried about that one exam or that upcoming interview and you talk to someone, you realize that you were worried for nothing. Talking is very purging - I should know, because I'm one of those people who doesn't stop once I start. Talk it out and then get back to being the amazingly hardworking person that you are.

5. Put aside some time for yourself.

Yes, school is important. Yes, you want perfect grades this semester (like all the others before). Yes, you want to study 19 hours every week for Organic Chemistry. The things is, you know this already, so why get stressed because of it? Plan ahead, don't put off your work, do everything as best as you can and you'll be surprised to find that you have a few hours left over. If you plan really well you'll have enough time to go get your nails done; you'll have time to go get some ice-cream; best of all, you'll have time to sleep (which we don't get enough of). Remember that you are important and that your health is more important than any degree. Without your health and well-being you won't be able to do any of the items on your to-do list. Take care of you first. There is no need to be stressed, just work hard and "do you boo".