Lessons I've Learned From Books

Lessons I've Learned From Books

“But they’re my three best friends for life,” - a young boy in The Boy in the Striped Pajamas.

84
Lessons I've Learned From Books
Personal Photo

"Place" isn't a physical thing - a place is a thought, an image, an idea. If I mention the beach, every being will have a different emotional connotation. Therefore, does the place I speak of need to be somewhere you can plot on a map?

No. Of course not.

“We accept the love we think we deserve” is found on the pages of The Perks of Beings a Wallflower. "We" in this quote is representative of "I." He looked at me for my body and now I am simply just a body. I act as if I love social media because it's a form of free expression but it's just another way to network my body. Why reduce myself to small talk in person when I can reduce myself to tight dresses and bikinis. I constantly crave the idea of someone needing my body rather than my words, knowledge, and laughter. That is what he taught me - that I am my body because that's what love is. Love is lust. I accept the fact that without lust, there is no love. Or maybe the thought that there is no love and only lust. Love is a simple myth. People go their whole life on the hunt for love, but only very few know that love doesn't exist. I don't believe in love, so I simply do not accept love.

“And I like large parties. They're so intimate. At small parties there isn't any privacy,” page 54 of Fitzgerald’s work of literary art. We are a pile of 10 misfits toys, that's it, only 10. Every day and every weekend, 10 tiny teens, laughing, crying, drinking, growing, and learning. We aren't friends anymore. This is for the simple reason that we became so intertwined with each other, we were woven too far in and there was no way out. The best nights we have together is when it was more than just the 10 of us. We experienced each other an a whole different level. Ten different people that were my short-term family, I hate most of them now but have a deep and passionate love for them that no one can ever take away from me. Expansion is okay - friends aren't always the help you need and good things never last.

“But they’re my three best friends for life,” said a young boy in The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. I find myself starting off most of my explanations with this phrase, due to the fact my best friends always come first. I will never understand how people claim to feel that the most intimate relationship is the one with their lover. The spiritual connection I have obtained through three strangers still leaves my mind in a sea of questions. They create a place - a home for me - that I always have. They leave me with this feeling at night where I just lay in my bed and wonder how I got not one, not two, but three, souls that I groove with; people that I can speak to on a spiritual level. Writers will tell you that words are very powerful and create any feeling, but no amazing writer, not Shakespeare, nor Dickens or Poe or Hemingway can convey the powerful feelings these girls create within me.

“I like it when somebody gets excited about something. It’s nice.”: The most famous, depressed teenager, created by, J.D Salinger. On the contrary, the most painful experience you can go through is telling someone something that excites you so much and their reaction being so grey it stings. They had such little care they couldn't even act as if they were interested. The feeling of rejection, unimportance and nonexistence. The three words that describe every word that exits my mouth. Let’s face it, who wants to talk to a 16 year old girl about politics, a deeper meaning of life and death or nature.

Nobody.

Places are not out in the world, places are rooted inside us.