When A Foreign Country Feels Like Home

When A Foreign Country Feels Like Home

You never know where you find a place you belong.

1455
When A Foreign Country Feels Like Home
Keilin Moffatt

I’m a homebody. I love being at home, in my hometown, around things that are familiar and in my comfort zone. I’d rather hang out in my home or my best friend’s home on a Friday night instead of going out.

On the other hand, I also really like adventure. I want to travel and see the world. There are always new places I’m adding to my list of destinations to travel to. I want to see how other cultures live and how they differ from my life in my hometown.

I’ve been very lucky and had the opportunity to visit a few cities throughout Europe. In 2012, I visited London, Paris, Rome, Florence, Pisa, Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri with one of my history teachers and few other students. In March of this year, I had the opportunity to spend my spring break in Dublin, Kilkenny, Connemara and Galway in Ireland as a study abroad trip.

After a bit of trouble getting there (thanks to the airline), we finally arrived and it was fantastic. We were busy with activities but not too busy that we didn’t get free time to experience the cities on our own. We got nights to ourselves, which many of us used to explore the cities’ nightlife and meet as many locals as possible. We all had a great time and the trip brought us so much closer as a group. But we were so busy there and so excited to be there, that it wasn’t until we got back that it sunk in that we were in a foreign country and what it really felt like to be there.

It wasn’t until I got back that I realized that Ireland left a lasting impression on me. It wasn’t just a place I can check off my list of dream destinations. It felt different than anyone of the other cities I’ve visited. It felt right. It felt like something closer to my heart. Ireland felt like home.

I felt completely comfortable there. Everyone I came in contact with was so kind and helpful and not all of them were paid to be that way. I don’t know if it was because of the incredible hospitality that the people showed us or because by the time we got there the group I went with felt like a family, but Ireland felt right.

I fell in love with Ireland more than I have with any other place. If I had to opportunity to return, then I’d head to the airport so quickly that all that would be left is a cloud of dust. If I could pack up my friends and family, then we’d leave on the soonest flight to start a new life.

Never in a million years had I thought that I could find a place that I loved as much, if not more than my hometown, but Ireland showed me that more than one place can feel like home. I left a part of me in Ireland. A part that will always long to go back to my home across the pond.