What's On My Playlist

What's On My Playlist

My top ten songs to discover and listen to

133
What's On My Playlist

One core thing that keeps me going throughout my day is music. Anytime I'm walking to class, I always have my headphones on and I'm jamming out to whatever is available on my phone. But some people probably ask, what goes on in my headphones? Well these are some of my favorites that keep me going on walks to class, homework sessions and just to listen to. Maybe you can add them to your playlist. Keep in mind: these are in no particular order but these are my ten favorite songs that I'm usually jamming out to.

1. Cry Me A River - Michael Buble

No this is not the typical "Cry Me A River" you may be used to from Justin Timberlake. Michael Buble brings a powerful twist to a classic song. Typically the song I like to listen to when I need a bit to cry, have a lot of anger and always the top of a breakup playlist. When the brass opens the song up, it feels like a lot of energy is channeled into this powerful piece. Also a great piece to hear live!

2. Send Them Off! - Bastille

If you read my article a few weeks ago, you would have known that I attended a Bastille concert and the concert opens with this piece. This was the first song I opened the album to. The opening line "It was a slight on my honor so he deserved it..." just makes me smile uncontrollably. The music is just so great; a feel-good song with an upbeat tempo and great instrumentals. And in sum from the article, the song that introduced me to my best friend.

3. The Room Where It Happens - Hamilton

It's really hard to pick one Hamilton song on this list. Hamilton has so many great arrangements and tracks. However, if I had to pick one, I'd probably pick this one. This number turns the entire show around. It drives the plot of Hamilton's success and Burr's want of power. This number is one of the most important numbers in the show and also the catchiest song.

4. Dust and Ashes - Josh Groban

This song, taken from The Great Comet, is a true ballad. This song exemplifies the talented actor that needs to play Pierre Bezukhov. The actor needs to be able to sing and play a challenging ballad in G minor (still working on it). But this piece is beautiful. Groban shines with this piece in the middle of the first act. The Tolstoy words incorporated in the lyrics are masterfully crafted into this powerful piece regarding the status of life, death and moving forward.

5. LA Devotee - Panic! At The Disco

The oddball in the playlist, LA Devotee is the song I'd break out an air guitar for any day. Introduced to me not too long ago, this song took me a while to catch onto. But every element from the key modulation to the drum pad is perfectly in tact. Plus leading singer Brendan Urie's vocals keep with the fast pace rock song: perfection!

6. Ignite - Zedd

Usually Olympic games and other major sporting events have some anthem made for the event. For the League of Legends World Championships this year, Zedd was the artist to go to. This song pumps up spectators watching their favorite eSports icons duke it out in the most intensive international competition of eSports history. And boy does this get a crowd pumped. Hearing it at MSG was exciting (even if not performed live). This song just floods me with energy, and boy does it get exciting when the base drops.

7. Get Lucky - Daft Punk featuring Pharrell Williams and Nile Rogers

The robots are two of my favorite artists. While masked and never vocal, the work they produce is stellar. Their award-winning song, "Get Lucky," was their return to fame. While they will never go on tour, I still listen to this song praying for a tour announcement. The catchy upbeat tempo, guitar solos from Nile, the vocals of Pharrell and the cryptic vocoder of the robots make this song an amazing piece of work.

8. I Feel It Coming - The Weeknd featuring Daft Punk

Continuing with the Daft Punk trend, one of the more recent songs on this list has landed its spot solely for the work of Daft Punk. I was never really into The Weeknd until hearing that Daft Punk makes a return. However, this doesn't hide his talent. The Weeknd puts his heart and soul into this piece. In addition, if anyone watched The Grammys, Daft Punk even showed up on stage to make a triumphant return to television. Overall an amazing craft by the three gentlemen. Hope to see more work of this sort soon.

9. Prologue - Natasha, Pierre and the Great Comet of 1812

Anyone who knows me knows that I am literally obsessed with this show. And I have this particular song on repeat. The opening of the entire show, the Prologue is one of the best songs in the entire show. When Josh Groban walks on stage with his accordion, the whole theatre goes silent. And as soon as the stage double doors slam, the actors flood the audience unleashing you into the theatrical experience of a life time.

10. Never Gonna Give You Up - Rick Astley

Yes. This infamous meme is on my phone. Why? For the exact reason of trolling the hell out of my friends. But in all seriousness, rickrolling aside, this song is an upbeat song with catchy lyrics and music. The internet meme not only frustrates me when it comes on after the most dramatic song but also motivates me and adds an extra bounce in my step at moments when I need it the most.

Want to listen to any of these songs? Well I made a playlist for you, the reader, of all the songs mentioned. Why don't you listen to them and maybe add something new to your music collection? Hope you can take a listen to them and see exactly why they are all on repeat for me about 100 times a day.

https://open.spotify.com/user/1250137887/playlist/...