What's A Hokie? You Are

What's A Hokie? You Are

You'll see the best sunsets of your life and experience all four seasons in one week.

385
What's A Hokie? You Are
Public Domain Images

Dear Confused High School Senior,

April. The time of year that one of the biggest decisions of your life is about to be made. It’s scary, I know. I was in your shoes two years ago, worrying about what college was the “perfect fit” for me…if one even existed. I’m an introvert who has nothing but a ball of built up worry in their chest. I went back and forth on my school of choice but, it turns out Virginia Tech was the best decision I have ever made.

I know you’re struggling. You’re stressing about your calculus exam next week, trying to spend as much time with your friends as possible before you graduate, and trying to keep everything in balance. If Virginia Tech is in your choice of acceptance letters, pull it out.

Take a good look at it. You see our colors, Burnt Orange and Chicago Maroon. We like to say here in Blacksburg that God must be a Hokie because, well, if you look around in the fall those are the primary colors you see all around you. You see a lot of writing that honestly just overwhelms you more but take a good read on it. I promise the programs here will sell you. Third, you see the Hokie Bird. What the heck is a Hokie anyway? It looks like a rooster but it’s definitely cuter than that. Well, from the day you hit you “I accept” button, you will get to scream you are. (This is slightly cheesy but very true). This campus is made up of 20,000+ Hokies and each one you meet, you’ll love.

Virginia Tech offers hundreds of clubs that you can be a part of and, no matter what, you’ll always feel like you can be yourself. You’ll find “your people” through these clubs, different activities you can join, your classes, your dorm, and so much more. Those pictures of the smiling students you see in your pamphlet? Those aren’t staged. Ask any student here what they think about Virginia Tech and I bet they will use the word “Love.”

Our community is one of the best you’ll ever be a part of. Events like Relay for Life and The Big Event are ones we swear by. No matter how alone you may feel coming into a new environment, Virginia Tech will welcome you with open arms. You’ll have a new set of friends by the end of the first week of classes and build from there. It’s okay to feel alone, especially when you’re making such a dramatic change in your life. But just know that your support system will be standing behind you Hokie-Strong.

Now, look up a video on YouTube of Virginia Tech Enter Sandman. Amazed yet? That’s what you’ll get to do every home game. Not to mention that our worlds rotate around football in the fall. Chicken Parm days will become your favorite days of the week and you’ll learn to dread walking across the drill field in the early months of February. You will see the best sunsets of your life and have the most beautiful views just outside your window. You’ll become a part of Virginia Tech and Virginia Tech will become a part of you.

So start practicing your jumping, baby Hokie. Cause you’re in for the best four years of your life.

Sincerely,

A Proud Hokie