Can Someone Explain Ed Sheeran's Acting Career To Me?

We all fell in love with his songs. Every one of them ranging from "A-Team", "Castle on the hill", and of course the number one song played at weddings in 2018, 'Perfect.' These songs are chock-full of emotion, love, and made me cry the first time I heard them. It goes without saying that Ed is one of the most talented individuals of the past decade. In fact, he has the highest-grossing tour concert and is one of the world's best-selling artists. No one can deny his musical abilities, but I want to talk about another talent he has displayed recently; acting.

If you have yet to see the summer movie 'Yesterday,' you are missing out. This beautiful homage to the Beatles has it all: music, comedy, love, and even Ed Sheeran. When I saw this loveable ginger on the big screen, I was a little shocked. Isn't he successful enough in his singing career that he doesn't need to start a new journey of acting? Surprisingly, he wasn't bad, and he had great, witty lines and helped move the story along. However, the entire time I knew I was watching Ed play himself and that it was supposed to be funny. Interestingly enough, it wasn't even supposed to be him in the movie. The director wanted Chris Martin from Coldplay, but he couldn't shoot because of scheduling conflicts. My mom, on the other hand, loved the Ed Sheeran cameo, but that may be because she doesn't know his music as well as I do.

Then, about a week later, I started watching Amazon's series 'Modern Love' and he popped up again, but this time playing a homeless, love interest. The moment my mom saw the episode, she called me and said, "Ed is acting again, did you see it?" You know I did.

Here is the thing, I love Ed. I think his music is amazing, inspiring, and can always make me cry. That being said, I find it really hard to watch him on screen because he is Ed freaking Sheeran. Some people complain about Meryl Streep, saying they don't like her as an actress because she is always playing some version of herself. Well, that is how I feel about Ed. Despite loving him and his music, it is challenging to watch him on screen. He will always be the singer of that one song that always played through BlueTooth when I started my car.