What's Your Bucket Filler?

What's Your Bucket Filler?

An article about driving passion and things that fill your heart and soul up.

18
What's Your Bucket Filler?

This week we were encouraged to write about something we are passionate about. This is a topic I always struggle with. There are lots of hobbies and things I like to do in my free time, but what is something I am truly passionate about? There are so many possibilities and experiences that I feel like I need to have in my hand before I can truly deem what I am passionate about. Then, I got to thinking one day... (Amazing...I know you are surprised, but it happens every once in a while!)

I don't feel like we have to deem our life's work to only one sole passion. In the different seasons of our lives we are allowed to have different "bucket fillers". Alright...where does this term "bucket fillers" come into play? I like to think of it as little things that fill up your heart and make it full; hence the visual of a bucket. For me, not just one passion fills my entire bucket. However, for some others that may be the opposite. They may have one thing that they are so enamored with or something that they feel completes them as a whole. Either way, we need to surround ourselves with things and people that fill up our buckets.

As I mentioned before, my "bucket fillers" are random and different in each occasion of life. Sometimes I get restless, set aside a passion and come back to it again some other day. One thing that has always been a passion in my life is music, whether it be singing, listening to music, or playing music. I know I'm not the best and that there are way better individuals out there, but it is something that has been a part of me for so long that to do without would be like losing a piece of myself. There are times I enjoy it more than others, but I truly do think without music my life would be less full with joy. Think of all the times that others miss out on that joy as well. It is something that fills others up with each performance. You never realize that moment until you see the woman in the crowd wiping away tears from her eyes. That's when you know you've made a difference.

Another bucket filler? Decorating...I love it and couldn't live without it. At one point in my college career, I thought of changing majors to Interior Designing, however I figured I could go back to school if I really felt the need/want to pursue it. In the mean time, interior decorating can be a past time or hobby. I love making decorations (DIY projects), fitting pieces that wouldn't normally go together, changing up styles from rustic to contemporary. Whatever it is, I feel like decorating is another one of my personal bucket fillers. Without the ambiance in a room, my life is less enjoyable. I have to live in a space where I can be comfortable and homey in. I also strive to help others do the same. It is hard for me to walk into an empty space with so much potential. I want to be able to create a usable and interesting space for the individual living in it.

Here, I revamped my jam jars to be more Christmas festive! My other article shows more holiday pictures!

A new passion of mine that is something I've always wanted to pursue; photography. I was afraid to start it because I knew I wouldn't be any good at it. I was determined that people would judge me based off of my use of filters and how low of quality the pictures were. Then, I realized that I just needed to go for it. I needed to try something new to conquer my fear and curiosity if I would be good at it. I like to think I'm creative, so that could only but help my cause.

Here is a picture that I took with my new camera. I'm beyond excited to use it and experiment! No judgments right?

Like writing a good paper, every writer gets their moments of "writers block". I feel like having different hobbies or passions that fill your bucket helps you to overcome your moments of weakness and uncertainty. Writing is a hobby that I loved in school. I would always enjoy writing creatively, telling stories, linking in quotes, inspiring others. I know I'm not perfect at it, but I like to think I have my moments of inspiring others.

Whatever it be, photography, singing, writing, decorating/making, I do it with a love in my heart. These hobbies are something that keeps me sane at the end of the day. I have a pillow in my room that says "Love what you do. Do what you love." If only it were that simple, right? But I think it can be! We just have to be willing to put ourselves in a vulnerable place to start something new, exciting, and worthwhile! Start something that will light your heart on fire! It may be one thing, it may be a hundred different things. No matter what it is, remember to fill your bucket. In the busyness of life, we get swept away with responsibilities, work, stress, and worries. We have to remember to take time for ourselves. Take a little time out of the day to relax and maintain your bucket.

If you don't know what your bucket filler is, that is perfectly alright. I am not even entirely sure if I have found mine. That is why for now, I have a million different pieces that fit into my bucket. Don't worry about what it is or what other people may think of you. Just know that if your heart is set ablaze by it, you will be inspiring others. Your passion and drive will automatically show others that you know what life is all about. Go out and show this world what you are made of! Once your own bucket is full, then you can spill out into other people's lives. Until then, do what makes you happy.