13 Things You Learn When You Take Up Lettering And Calligraphy

You're gonna get pissed. You'll probably throw things, fair warning.

13
writing calligraphy

I know what you're thinking: "No, I can't do that." Want to know how I know that? Because there was a time when I was just starting out, too. I thought my calligraphy sucked and it would never improve. There was even half a year where I stopped completely. And then, one day, I just started again. And I fell back in love.

Lettering and calligraphy have become something that I am passionate about. It's what I turn to when everything around me starts to shake. I don't have to think about anything except for the proportion of my lines and heights of letters and pure details.

If you've ever thought about taking up lettering or calligraphy, here's my advice to you: what could go wrong? Just try it out. Pursue it.

And if you do, here are 13 things that you will learn if you take up lettering and calligraphy:

1. Hand cramps have nothing on you

If you're in the middle of a project, like making holiday cards, your hand is going to get very tired. Whether you're on a time crunch or just doing it for fun, it's smart to invest in a stress ball to relax your hands. Breaks are also okay!

2. Patience, actually is, a virtue

You'd be surprised how good you can get if you just keep tracing the same letter over and over again. Eventually, it will be muscle memory. Try buying a practice calligraphy book that you can write in. It helps a lot.

You can also watch videos on YouTube and notice how other people write certain letters. You can learn a lot from people who have been doing it for a long time! Just don't get discouraged. You can get to that point, too!

3. Practice makes... improvement!

If you get upset and stop after one little, or even one very big, mistake, you'll never improve! You're gonna get pissed. You'll probably throw things, fair warning.

Don't strive for perfection, because you'll more than likely fall short of your goal. Instead, make your goals small at first and easy to obtain. Those goals will look different for everyone, and that is not a bad thing!

4. Perfection is boring

Seriously, it is! Don't be too critical of yourself. It's just for fun! Odds are no one will even notice the mistakes. Sometimes, if you start adding watercolor or other paint, you can try to cover up the things you don't like and take the attention off of them.

5. Your home/ room will always be well-decorated

If you learn the basics, you can put all of your skills together and make something really beautiful! If you go on Pinterest for ideas and think that you'll never be able to make something like it, don't worry! It might look complicated, but if you break it down it's nothing you can't do.

6. You will never run out of cheap gift ideas

The good thing about taking up lettering and calligraphy is that you can make a lot of things for little money! It might take a lot of time, but in the end it is genuine, personal, and very cost efficient.

7. People never run out of gift ideas for you, too!

Trust me, you're going to be using a lot of supplies. Some run out faster than others, so it's always good to have extra pens, paper, and ink! And you'll be so excited.

8. It helps you stay positive

The fun thing about lettering is that you can do little phrases and quotes. I like to choose ones that are happy and inspiring, especially ones that put me in a good mood. It helps me when I'm feeling upset or down.

9. There are a lot of different supplies

Don't be overwhelmed! This is what we have YouTube for, once again. It may look like there are a lot of different pens, and different ways to use them, but if you invest some time and research into it, you'll be just fine.

10. You could totally start your own side business

Once you start getting really good, you might not even be able to tell your work is homemade! You can make cards, prints, and so much more! And, because not everyone has this skill, they'll pay good money.

11. You can save money on invitations for big events

Like I said before, once you get more and more confident in your art, it will become muscle memory. If you're tight on money and need to come up with invitations quick, this can be a good skill to have. If you have good time management, it won't be hard to create your own wedding, graduation, or baby shower invitations. And, people will be pretty impressed!

12. You are capable of amazing things

You'd be amazed what you can do if you keep practicing! Two years ago I did not think I would be as capable as I am today.

13. It won't happen overnight

It might even take years. I, personally, have been working on lettering and calligraphy for about three years. I would get very frustrated at first, because I am perfectionist. But, I learned that with time I got better and better. You will too.