What You Learn When You're In College

What You Learn When You're In College

I learned what my priorities are.

1
What You Learn When You're In College
Patricia LaRusso

As a freshman in college and a tour guide I have been asked what I've learned at college so far many times. When I first was asked I thought that I was supposed to say what I was learning in my classes. I did my best to explain the coursework but realized that I wasn't satisfied with my own answer so it was not logical for me to expect someone else to be satisfied with my answer.

After careful consideration I can now say that in college a person learns who they are as a person. They learn how they handle intense amounts of stress and how they react to being away from home. They discover what matters most to them and what kind of friends they want to have.

For example, I have friends from a few different friend groups at my college, but the people I'm closest to now can make me laugh in a split second over the stupidest things. They're the people who I know I can go to when I'm annoyed about something or when I'm overly excited and need someone to be happy with. They are the people who will stop the car so we can buy a coffee and a doughnut for the homeless person across the street.

In college I've learned what my priorities are.